HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

1998 honda accord: a bad vtec solenoid make the engine..idle..3.0 v6

does a bad vtec solenoid make the engine have a light rapping noise at idle on a 1998 honda accord 3.0 v6
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 7 years ago.
No it will not .Low oil pressure or valves that are out of adjustment will.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

has good oil pressure and valves are quiet. the rapping noise comes from the lower part of the engine.

Ok if this is lower end it could be a bad bearing or bent rod is it more of a knock?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no its more of a rapping and seems to be right at the front of the engine near the harmonic balancer. also just fyi the solenoid is open after checking it with an ohm meter
The solenoid should not cause this issue.There would be a code if it was faulty.Is the noise behind the cover?Was the timing belt ever replaced?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i did replace the timing belt about 80000 miles ago. when i checked the faulty codes the first one that came up was a bad egr valve. changed that. then the next code was catylist was out of paramiters. i am shorting the pins to get the code and can only get 1 code at a time. the gasket just after the catalytic converter is leaking which i;m assuming might accout for the last code. i also neglected to tell you that the rapping sound was at first intermitent while at idle
Ok when you changed the egr valve did you clear out the egr ports also as per the bulletin?DOes the noise sound like behind the timing cover?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no i did not clear out the egr ports they were a little black but were not clogged. the noise does sound like it could be coming from behind the timing belt cover

Ok if you listen at the oil pan can you here the noise?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i used a hose to try to pin point the noise and it is the loudest right in front of the engine just above the crankshaft
Ok this definitely sounds like its internal in the engine.Did you drain the oil through a strainer and see if there are any signs of metal in the oil?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
That would be the next step.Does the noise increase with rpms?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the raps increase in speed and the rpms increase. but goes totally away at 1500 rpms. the noise does not increase in volume,(sound). and like i said when it first started doing it was intermitent. like maybe an ac compressor goes on and off

OK if the noise is not by the timing cover or alternator ,power steering ,a/c compressor then I would check to see if there are any signs of metal in the oil to rule out internal damage.If there is metal could be a failing bearing.This would be the next step.If I can here the noise it would be a little easier but I would start here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i sorry i don't understand how a bearing could be intermitent, going off and on like it was being switched. also i changed the oil maybe a 1000 miles ago and there was no metal fillings.

Ok you said the noise is as soon as the car is idling until you reach 1500 rpms correct.From what you are saying the noise should be coming from the tensioner in the front of the motor the drive belt turns on or the alternator .Were these checked.Also its not and exhaust noise correct .Not hearing the noise is hard to diagnose.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when you start the car from a cold start. there is no noise even at idle. it is only after the engine has been running for several minutes before the noise comes. i did check the belt tensioner and that is smooth and quiet. is it possible that the timming belt tensioner could make that noise?
Yes absolutely .Thats why i was saying to focus on that area.I would check there next .Could be the tensioner or a bearing in a pulley behind the cover.I would start there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
why only after the engine is warmed up though
Yes I have seen that before .Thats when the bearing starts to heat up also and make noise.Also if the water pump was not changed it can also make this noise.I usually take a long screw driver up to my ear and listen to everything to pinpoint the noise.