HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2005 Honda Odyssey with VSA and Check Engine lights on

Customer Question

2005 Honda Odyssey with about 45000 miles on it. Outside air is freezing cold. Check engine light and VSA light came on at the same time. Car vibrates dramatically and has little to no acceleration. Car worked just fine yesterday. Help?
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 7 years ago.

When your check engine light comes on a code is stored in the vehicles computer system. This code is vital in troubleshooting the vehicle accurately. To access this code requires a scanner that most any auto repair shop or auto parts store such as Advance or Autozone will have. Most establishments will scan the code for FREE. My recommendation is to have the vehicle scanned and send the code to me. I will take it from there and will be able to better assist you.

Let me know when you get it, take your time.

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Appreciate the response. If I have to go to a mechanic to get the code, I'll just get the mechanic to service the vehicle. Was hoping this might be something simple...like tire pressure, gas cap issue, etc.

I didn't mention anything about a mechanic....those are auto parts stores that will scan the codes for free in about 5-10 minutes. Trying to speculate without knowing the stored trouble codes would be an irresponsible guess. I prefer to give you more than that.

I would compare it to trying diagnose the human body...without an x-ray or an M.R.I.

As for tire pressure, no. The gas cap can in fact make the check engine light come on, but will not activate the VSA light also.

The check engine light can come on for over 50 different reasons.

Edited by thebesthonda on 2/11/2010 at 1:38 PM EST