HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

Honda Civic EX: ltr..blown head gasket..the head is cracked..cheaper

I have a 05 Honda Civic EX, 1.7 ltr VTEC engine that has a blown head gasket - the cost to repair is between $1,300. and $2,000 depending if the head is cracked. Would it be cheaper to drop another rebuilt engine into the car? Milage is 106K, but with many new parts installed. How long can the head gasket repair last as to miles above the 106K? Where can I get a rebuilt engine that is highly recommended as to workmanship?
Bob L.
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 6 years ago.
No it would be more then double of the head gasket repair to replace the motor.As long as the head is sent out to be pressure tested and milled and the deck of the block is not warped it will last another 100,000 no problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The difference of $700.00 more was if the machine shop that the repair shop uses finds the head cracked - How do I know that there was an actual crack found by the machine shop and not just an added cost by either facility passed onto me?
Unless you are there to see the test you will not know.