thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

The timing belt on our 2005 Honda Accord broke and we are now

The timing belt on our 2005 Honda Accord broke and we are now looking at valve replacement or engine replacement. What are the estimated costs of each option? We had 75,000 miles on the engine.
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 6 years ago.

Hello. It is usually more cost effective to replace the engine with a used unit. As for labor time to replace the engine, Motor labor guide gives 12.7 hours. This charge will of course vary depending on the labor rate of the shop you use. Most charge $50-$60 an hour.

As for the cost of the engine, these guys have one for $1000.00 with 50,000 miles. They may have others with more or less mile depending on your budget, or you may be able to find one in your area to save shipping charges

I hope this helps you, but if you need anything else, please let me know.

Edited by thebesthonda on 2/1/2010 at 8:37 PM EST
I looked up the labor time to replace the valves, it 27.4 hours and the valves are around $25 each...your car has 24 valves, plus gaskets, fluids, it adds up pretty quick.