thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

How do I flush a 2005 Honda Odyssey transmission?

Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with this.

NOTE: The term "flushing" refers to repeatedly draining and refilling the trans with Honda Genuine

ATF-Z1. Don't confuse it with aftermarket flush systems. American Honda still strongly recommends that

you avoid using them on any Honda vehicle.

The original procedure was written for simpler A/Ts that readily upshifted when you ran the vehicle on a lift.

But A/Ts have come a long way since then, and most of the newer ones balk at shifting past 2nd gear

when on a lift, unless you work the shift lever a certain way.

In light of all this, we thought it was high time that the A/T flushing procedure got a facelift. So here's the

latest word on flushing that works for all A/Ts:

1. Set the parking brake, and raise the vehicle on a lift.

2. Drain the trans, and refill it with Honda Genuine ATF-Z1. Refer to the applicable S/M or to ISIS for

details.

3. Start the engine, shift into Drive, and release the parking brake.

4. Push down on the accelerator pedal to raise the vehicle speed to 2,500 rpm.

• If the trans shifts past 2nd gear, go to step 5.
  • If the trans won't shift past 2nd gear, keep the engine speed at 2,500 rpm and shift from Drive to

Neutral and back to Drive. Then go to step 5.

5. Make sure that the trans shifts through all the forward gears and goes into torque converter lockup.

6. Let off the accelerator pedal, and press the brake pedal to drop the vehicle speed to zero. Shift into

Reverse and then into Neutral.

7. Shift into Drive, and repeat steps 4 thru 6 four more times.

8. Set the parking brake, and repeat steps 2 thru 6 two more times.

9. Drain the trans, and reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer.

10. Refill the A/T with ATF-Z1.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How many quarts of fluid does it take to do this flush procedure with three drains and refills along with a final fill?
You will need around 12 quarts. I would buy a case at Honda, they will sell it a little cheaper like that anyway and it has 12 quarts in it.
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 26 years experience