John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

I have a 2006 Honda Accord. The check engine light came on

I have a 2006 Honda Accord. The check engine light came on 3 days ago shortly after getting gas. I thought that I just needed to reseat the gas cap and the light would go off after a few days , but the car has shut off several times when I stop at a red light and although I am able to restart it's been nearly 3 days and the light is still on so I'd like to get some idea of what the problem could be before I take it to the dealer. I have 71,000 miles and up now have done all the maintenance and have had no problems. I 'was' told when I had my oil changed a couple of weeks ago that I needed to get my transmission fluid changed because it was very dirty and I intended to do that next week. Can anyone help shed light on wha the problem might be?
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I can help you with this. There are many different causes you could be facing here. The best way to get a cheap idea of the failure is to stop at a major chain parts store like autozone. They will scam the code for free. If it does happen to be gas cap related, just have them clear it on the spot. If it is another problem like an oxygen sensor or other emissions system you can then see a dealer.

Remember , some emissions parts are warrantied for 8 years or 80,000 miles.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, I'll do that tomorrow. Is there some internal code that they'll see because as I said the check engine light is the only thing showing on the display. Also, when the car shuts off when idling, I noticed that both the oil and the battery light come on. The car also has the original battery in it, haven't had any problems but should I consider replacing? thanks
Expert:  John G. replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the check engine light just indicates a malfunction. There will be a specific code that can be retrieved with a scan tool.

The stalling could be another symptom of whatever problem is causing the check engine light to come on. When it stalls, it is normal for the battery light and oil light to come on.

Autozone can also check your battery free at the same time if you are concerned about it.

John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.