Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1994 honda accord: wont start..wont stay running..the main relay

Customer Question

our 1994 honda accord won't start. turns over, won't stay running. Got a code 15, changed the main relay, still nothint
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

the problem may be the icm[ignition control module,,this is located under the distributer cap

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Honda Accord/Prelude 1984-1995 Repair Guide

Parts Replacement

On 1990-95 Accords and 1988-95 fuel injected Preludes, the distributor cap, rotor and igniter are the only serviceable parts in the distributor. If the reluctor(s) or pickup coil(s) are found to be defective on these models, it will be necessary to replace the entire distributor housing.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Distributor Cap and Rotor

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

The distributor cap is retained by screws to the distributor housing. With the ignition OFF , loosen or remove the screws, then remove the cap. Inspect the inside of the cap for cracking, burning or heavy wear on the wire terminals. Replace the cap if there is any sign of anything abnormal. Slight wear on the terminals is normal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Remove the screws securing the cap to the distributor ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: ... then pull the cap out from the distributor

Some models use a set screw to secure the rotor to the shaft; loosen or remove (but don't lose) the screw before attempting to remove the rotor. Remove the ignition rotor by lifting it straight off the shaft. Inspect the rotor for any sign of wear; dressing or refiling the rotor is not recommended except in emergency circumstances.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: On most models, the rotor can simply be pulled from the distributor shaft

Before installing, align the rotor and shaft; both have a flat side to insure correct placement. Press the rotor onto the shaft. Install and tighten the set screw if applicable. Install the cap and any seal or gasket carefully onto the distributor; tighten the screws just snug.

Reluctor

See Figure 4

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF .
  2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
  3. Remove the distributor cap and rotor.
  4. Use two small or medium sized flat tools to pry the reluctor smoothly and evenly from the shaft. Protect the case of the distributor with rags or cloth. Use great care not to damage the stator or other components.