Rob Tech
Rob Tech, Honda Master Technician
Experience:  25 years in automotive industry with knowledge from the past to the most recent Hondas on the road.
25812679

2003 Honda Accord LE will not shift out of park. Brake lights

2003 Honda Accord LE will not shift out of park. Brake lights work fine. Battery disconneted 1 month ago to replace left head light. Computer software update 2 weeks ago to fix engine light, $90. My dealership now wants to replace the ECU computer for $1100. Help!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Rob Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with this. I just want to be clear on the fault first. When you start the car and press the brake the car will not shift out of park and your dealer says it's the computer causing the issue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. That is the Dealer guess. The brake light come on but I can not move the shifter out of park.
Expert:  Rob Tech replied 4 years ago.
Okay, the input from the brake light switch does go through the computer before it goes to the gear shift interlock so you could have a failed computer. Ask them if they have grounded the blue wire coming out of the shifter interlock to see if the shifter solenoid is working. I' m sure they are aware of this but just wanted to make sure. One other thing does the gear shift release if you use the manual release where you remove the small cover and insert your key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the manual release works with the key. I'll ask about the blue wire to ensure it is not a bad soleoid. Could the dealership messed up the computer with the software update?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also could the battery being disconnedted messed up the PMC, that now needs to relearn the relative throttle position?
Expert:  Rob Tech replied 4 years ago.
I don't think the software update could cause a problem. That is from Honda. I've done hundreds or maybe thousands and never had a problem. As far a any kind of relearn that's a pretty straight forward system (it's either on or off) so no it does not have any kind of relearn. It's one of 3 things wiring, PCM, or the actual solenoid. You've ruled out the brake light switch since the lights are coming on. Please remember to hit the accept key if my information is helpful a deposit does not account as credit for an acceptable answer. Let me know if I can assist you further. Thank you.
Rob Tech, Honda Master Technician
Experience: 25 years in automotive industry with knowledge from the past to the most recent Hondas on the road.