HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid: MIL light..IMA..the cars starts..braking

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. The MIL light is on and the D indicator flashes. It seems like the IMA is running, the cars starts with it still, but there is no IMA assist or charge durning braking. I get error code P0700 from the OBDII connector. Solutions?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
Ok this is telling you there is a fault with the transmission.The p0700 code and the d4 light flashing.When there is a fault it will affect the IMA system until its fixed.Most common is a faulty pressure switch on the transmission.The p0700 code is generic Honda will scan the car and give you a specific code like a p0740 code.I would honestly not trust anyone but the dealer to fix these hybrid cars.We have the correct equipment where allot of independent shops do not have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a way to get the secondary specific codes by flashing the lights on the dash by connecting a couple of lines on the TCM or something?

Most independent shops with newer scanners can get the specific transmission code.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I had wanted to take the car to a shop in the first place I wouldn't be here asking questions. I work on all of my cars but have never owned a Honda before and not sure about some of the specifics. Thanks.

I have seem in other forums about people being able to flash the lights for the code but the images are no longer available and it doesn't say which pins, plus it was an older vehicle so I wasn't sure if it was the same for my vehicle.

I have also read that possibly just changing the fluid and strainer in the transmission might help, thoughts?

No this is only for pre obd2 cars up to 1994 Honda's.There is no way to flash the codes.Like I stated been working on Honda 18 years alone need the specific code to diagnose the fault.P0700 is generic saying there just a failure for the transmission not what part or system has failed.Allot of shops independent will scan it for free including Aamco and they will give you the correct code.You need that code to properly diagnose the issue.It can be very costly to start guessing at failures.Most common is a pressure switch for your issue but it can be another problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks,

I understand I shouldn't be stabbing in the dark, but if it is the pressure switch, is it simple to change in my shop?

Yes definitely just disconnect it ,unscrew it replace the crush washer clear the code and your done.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, thanks for telling me where to look. It appears the wiring harness to the pressure valve has been damaged. Possibly rabbit chewed !!!! Or other rodent!!! But fixable easy enough.

Solved!

Excellent glad its fixed.If you ever need anything else please let me know.

Positive feedback greatly appreciated.