HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

1997 Honda Accord EX: ABS light comes..a repair shop..diagnostic tool

1997 Honda Accord EX 4Cy AT. My ABS light comes on sporatically. I took it to a repair shop and their diagnostic tool told them it was the accumulator. A replacement unit from a junk yard was obtained and installed. This time another error came up, so they obtained another one which the motor wanted to run all the time. Honda wants $1600 for the unit. The shop said it took approximately 2 hours to vent and test each time and did not want to go through that itteration again. I read on the internet that Honda had a special diagnostic tool used to be more specfic on problem codes for older Honda'??? I wonder if the error is in the computer for the ABS rather than the unit itsself?? Any advice ??
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 6 years ago.
What was the number code you got for the abs light?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have that info, but the repair shop said the first code indicated a bad accumulator, the next one had to do with motor and the third was a continuos running motor. What he told me was that the original unit the pressure would decay after a while which would make the light come on. I don't know if the two units from the junk yard were faulty or some other problem??
Ok having the codes would help alot.But there are alot of issues with the accumulators going bad and the pumps.If I knew the code number it would help alot.Heres a bulletin for the code 1 which seems like theproblem you are having.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would it be true that the Honda people would have a diagnostic tool hat woulf better id problem?? Would it be probable that two units would also fail?? thks lda
Doubtful 2 units failed.Most likely they did not bleed the system correct or read the wrong code.The dealer will hook up the Honda scanner and get all codes to be sure of the issue.