George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

2006 honda: Windshield washer..Fuse is okay; fluid level full

Customer Question

Windshield washer on 2006 honda odyssey does not work. Fuse is okay; fluid level full. What else do I need to check?
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If you can hear the pump motor running the inlet may be blocked or the lines may be cracked. If you cannot hear the motor running the motor itself may have failed. if you have a testlight insert it in place of the motor and activate the switch. If the light comes on the motor has failed.

Let me know your situation and I will help you find the cause of the failure

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where is the motor you speak of? Does one motor control both the front and rear washers? Neither the front washer nor the rear are working.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Can you hear the motor running?

The pump motors are on the bottom of the reservoir as shown in the diagram below

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your replies and the diagram. I will have to check the motors when I can get the van up. My question is isn't it odd that both motors would stop at the same time? Would this indicate any additional items to check beside the motors?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I would start at the motor as it checks the whole system.

Is the bottle full of ice or debris at the bottom?

Do you hear the motors running?

If the motors do not run do the check at the motor connector and let me know what the result is then we can work from there

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have disconnected the connector. There is a lot of moisture on the whole motor and associated parts. We are in Indiana and have 5 inches of snow on the ground!!! I will have to locate my continuity tester and check to see if the voltage is going to the connector. Is that where I should start? You keep asking "Do I hear the motor running?" No. There is no sound at all. I will let you know about the connector. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

You would check continuity of the motor and voltage at the motor connector.

Let me know what you find

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

It is possible that the wiper washer control system is preventing washer operation and that will require a scanner that can communicate with the control units. here is a description of the washer system so you can get some idea of how the Honda engineers designed it.

Washer
When the windshield wiper switch is moved to WASH, the signal for wash is input to the combination switch control unit. The combination switch control unit communicates that info via a multiplexed signal to the relay control module. The relay control module energizes the front washer motor relay supplying battery voltage to the washer motor and the high winding of the windshield wiper motor receives battery voltage through the energized intermittent wiper relay and the static windshield wiper high relay: the washer motor pumps washer fluid onto the windshield and the windshield wiper motor runs in high. As soon as the wiper motor starts running, the mechanical park/run switch built in the motor will move from PARK to RUN.

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

George,

I think I may have a frozen fluid problem. The motor shows continuity and the connnector shows voltage when tested. The interesting thing is yesterday I filled the reservoir with "orange" fluid. The washer wasn't working so naturally I thought the fluid was out (although, I did not recall the "low fluid" light on). After checking just now, there is about 2 - 2 1/2" of "green fluid" at the bottom followed by an obvious "orange fluid" level above. Since yesterday, the van has been driven at least 45 miles. The fluids would have mixed by now. Don't you think? We usually get the van "full-serviced" at Wal-Mart. I am thinking they may have top off my reservoir with watered down washer fluid. It is below freezing in my garage and currently 19 degrees outside. I guess I will have to wait for warm weather to thaw.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, George!
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I am always glad to help and I thank you for using JA!!

It does sound like the fluid has frozen, try pouring warm to hot, NOT BOILING, water over the reservoir to thaw it. I am concerned that it may crack if it freezes solid. If the pump is frozen it will not turn so you would not hear it run.

I would find a different place to service your vehicle in the future that is aware of the damage that can be caused by shoddy work.

Once the bottle is thawed you can remove the motor from the bottle and allow the fluid to drain then you can replace it with the high octane stuff!!

If you continue to have a problem once the bottle is thawed let me know and I will help you find the cause.

Thanks