Luis Sepulveda
Luis Sepulveda, Honda Technician
Experience:  !8 years of experience 10 with Honda. ASE certified, Honda trained and certified

i have a 05 civic with code p1456 smoked it no leak found tested

Customer Question

i have a 05 civic with code p1456 smoked it no leak found tested fuel cap no problem.
did as mush as my modis can do .any help gladly i would app car has 148900 on it
Category: Honda
Expert:  Luis Sepulveda replied 4 years ago.

2005 CIVIC - DTC Troubleshooting: P1456 (90)

DTC P1456: EVAP Control System Leakage (Fuel Tank System)

The fuel system is designed to allow specified maximum vacuum and pressure conditions. Do not deviate from the vacuum and pressure tests as indicated in these procedures. Excessive pressure/vacuum would damage the EVAP components or cause eventual fuel tank failure.

Special Tools Required

• Vacuum pump/gauge, 0-30 in.Hg, Snap-on YA4000Aor equivalent, commercially available

This is a two-trip code. Once cleared, it cannot be reproduced in one trip. Also, certain specific driving and ambient conditions must occur before the ECM/PCM will complete the system checks. Additional test drives may still not meet the specific conditions needed to reproduce the code.

Follow these troubleshooting procedures carefully to ensure the integrity of the system and to confirm the cause of the problem or code.

NOTE: Fresh fuel has a higher volatility that will create greater pressure/vacuum. The optimum condition for testing is fresh fuel, and must be less than a full tank of gas. If possible, to assist in leak detection, add 1 gallon of fresh fuel to the tank (as long as it will not fill the tank), just before starting these procedures.

Fuel Fill Cap Check

1. Check the fuel fill cap (the cap must say ''If not tightened 3 clicks check engine light may come on'').

Is the proper fuel fill cap installed and properly tightened?
      YES -

Go to step 2.

NO -

Replace or tighten the cap and the fuel fill pipe mating surface.¦

1. Check the fuel fill cap seal.

Is the fuel fill cap seal missing or damaged, or is the fuel fill pipe damaged?
      YES -

Replace the fuel fill cap (gray or black colored cap).¦

NO -

The fuel fill cap is OK. Go to step 3.

EVAP Canister Purge Valve Test

1. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the EVAP canister purge valve (A), and connect a vacuum pump/gauge, 0-30 in.Hg, to the hose.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. Apply vacuum to the hose.

Does the valve hold vacuum?
      YES -

The EVAP canister purge valve is OK. Go to step 11.

NO -

Go to step 6.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the EVAP canister purge valve 2P connector.

1. Check for continuity between EVAP canister purge valve 2P connenctor terminal No. 2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?
      YES -

Go to step 9.

NO -

Replace the EVAP canister purge valve.¦

1. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector B (24P).

1. Check for continuity between EVAP canister purge valve 2P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?
      YES -

Repair short in the wire between the EVAP canister purge valve and the ECM/PCM (B21).¦

NO -

Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, replace the original ECM/PCM.¦

EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve Test

1. Disconnect both vacuum hoses from the EVAP two way valve (A), and connect a vacuum pump/gauge, 0-30 in.Hg, to the canister port on the EVAP two way valve.

1. Turn the EVAP bypass solenoid valve ON with the HDS, or connect ECM/PCM connector terminal E20 to body ground with a jumper wire.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

2. Apply vacuum to the hose.

Does the valve hold vacuum?
      YES -

Go tostep 15.

NO -

Go to step 20.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the EVAP bypass solenoid valve 2P connector.

1. Check for continuity between EVAP bypass solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?
      YES -

Go to step 18.

NO -

Repair open in the wire between the EVAP bypass solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM (E20).¦

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. Measure voltage between EVAP bypass solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No. 1 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage?
      YES -

Replace the EVAP two way/bypass solenoid valve (A).¦

NO -

Repair open in the wire between the EVAP bypass solenoid valve and the No. 4 ACG (10 A) fuse.¦

1. Plug the fuel tank port (A) of the EVAP two way valve.

1. While monitoring FTP sensor voltage with the HDS, or measuring the voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminals E4 and E14, slowly pump a vacuum pump/gauge, 0-30 in.Hg, until the voltage drops to about 1.5 volts.

Does the voltage drop to 1.5 V and hold for at least 20 seconds?
      YES -

The EVAP bypass solenoid valve/EVAP two way valve is OK. Go to step 22.

NO -

Repair the leak from the EVAP bypass solenoid valve, EVAP two way valve, and FTP sensor.¦

EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve Test

1. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the EVAP canister vent filter (A), and connect a vacuum pump/gauge, 0-30 in.Hg, to the hose.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

1. Apply vacuum to the hose with five strokes of the pump.

Does the valve hold vacuum?
      YES -

Go to step 25.

NO -

The EVAP canister vent shut valve is OK. Go to step 30.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent shut valve 2P connector.

1. Check for continuity between EVAP canister vent shut valve 2P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?
      YES -

Go to step 28.

NO -

Replace the EVAP canister vent shut valve (A) and O-ring (B).¦

1. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector E (31P).

1. Check for continuity between EVAP canister vent solenoid valve 2P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.

Is there continuity?
      YES -

Repair short in the wire between the EVAP canister vent shut valve and the ECM/PCM (E21).¦

NO -

Vacuum Hoses and Connections Test

1. Do the fuel tank vapor control valve test.

Is the fuel tank vapor control valve OK?
      YES -

Go to step 31.

NO -

Replace the fuel tank vapor control valve

1. Tighten the fuel cap 3 ''clicks'', then monitor the FTP readings with the HDS or a scan tool.

2. Start the engine, and let it idle for 5 minutes.

1. Check the FTP sensor readings.

Is the reading above 0.5 kPa (0.16 in.Hg, 4 mm Hg) pressure, about 3 V?
      YES -

NO -

Check these parts for leaks:¦

• Fuel tank (A)

• Fuel fill cap (B)

• Fuel fill pipe (C)

• Fuel tank vapor control valve (D)

• Fuel tank vapor recirculation valve (E)

• Fuel tank vapor recirculation tube (F)

• Fuel tank vapor signal tube (G)

• Fuel tank vapor control vent tube (H)

• FTP sensor (J)

- Repair or replace any leaking parts.

This is a hard one to solve. You might need to take it to the dealership to get it diagnosed if you do not have all the appropiate tools. Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of further assistance

• Edited by Luis Sepulveda on 1/5/2010 at 4:25 AM EST