Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 Honda Civic ex: The check engine light..OBD..P0141..O2 sensor

The check engine light on our 2001 Honda Civic ex came on & the OBD reader gave a P0141 code. We replaced the downstream O2 sensor (Bosch), but the check engine light remains. The OBD still reads P0141 code. We disconnected the battery to clear the system & check the #4 fuse. Any ideas of what can be wrong?

Thanks.

Verify battery voltage to the rear O2 sensor heater on the Black/Yellow wire with the key on. Check the Rear O2 sensor heater ground circuit voltage to the computer on the Black/White wire; clear the code first and see if the computer ever tries grounding the Black/White wire when starting the engine and if the code resets. Depending on what you find you will need to fix connector or repair/replace wiring. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks

P0141 Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • HO2S connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
  • HO2S heater power (12v) circuit is open (check the fuse to the heater circuit)
  • HO2S heater ground circuit is open
  • HO2S heater has failed
  • PCM has failed

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Which fuse is the heater circuit? Also, isn't the heater inside the o2 sensor?
Yes, the heater is inside the o2 and 10 amp fuse #4 in the in vehicle dash is for the o2. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it possible I over torked the sensor on install? If its not the wires it is likely a defective part?
Its possible that its a defective part and over torqueing the sensor couldnt cause it. At this point you will need to verify you have good power and ground going to the sensor if so replace sensor, if not look into wiring problems. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.