thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

97 honda civic: a trouble code p1361 and p1362 tdc sensor/ckp sensor

Customer Question

on a 97 honda civic what causes a trouble code p1361 and p1362 tdc sensor/ckp sensor if it's not the sensor?
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Is your Civic a manual, or automatic? Also is it a dx, lx, ex, etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
automatic, EX
Ok, did you replace the entire distributor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, this one was monted under timing belt cover and runs off of lower cam sprocket.
Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Ok. When I get back to the shop tomorrow morning I will send the troubleshooting procedure for the wiring and the sensor. This will pin point the problem. Its on my work computer and I'm off for the day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
customer is coming by today, was hoping you knew of a some what5 "common problem" with this model, ohms tests don't always tell you what's wrong when it's intermittent. and this is intermittent it takes a while for the code to set.
Expert:  SETH replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX you check the wiring for the sensor? It should be tucked into the timing belt cover. Sometimes it can fall out and rub against the alternator belt and cause these DTC's.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, it was tucked in, and the new sensor came with a new harness attached. thanks, though
Expert:  SETH replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry. These codes are for the sensors in the distributor. Have you removed the distributor cap and checked inside the housing?
Sorry. Lost my internet connection. Bad winds in my area. Yes. These sensors are inside the distributor. Remove the distributor cap and look for metal shavings, oil, or rust residue. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, i'll let you know tomorrow, car's not here now, i was trying to see what to do ahead of time, the problem is inter mttent, the engine light has stayed off for two days now, is it possible i could blow rust out of dist. and cure it?
No hurry. Keep me posted. I will be here when you need me. No, if rust is in the distributor this is a sign of worn bearings and the distributor will need to be replaced.
Good morning. CLICK HERE for the troubleshooting procedure I promised you.