George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

90 honda accord: car starts..doesnt start..bypass..runs good

Customer Question

90 honda accord - replace fuel pump, main relay, car starts most of time, not always, when it doesn't start, i tap the main relay and so far it will start, can i bypass the relay or is something else wrone. when it starts, it start quickly and runs good
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If you used an aftermarket relay you may want to try a different brand. It does sound like the main relay or the connections to it is the problem. The relay is not easy to bypass as it has two relays inside, one powers the fuel pump and the other powers the fuel injection/computer. both have to work or the car will not start.

Inspect the connection and the harness leading to it then try a different relay.

Let me know if you have further questions about this

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have inspected the wiring harness leading to it, had a honda mechanic inspected it also and said it look good to him, have tried 2 different relays, with the same results, the mechanic said to bypass it - the mechanic is a friend of mine
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

If all you do is tap the relay and the vehicl starts it is your relay or possibly the ignition switch. To bypass the relay would require installing two relays to take the place of this one. I don't understand what that would do. If the problem is the relay then bypassing it would repair the problem but if the problem is the relay why not replace the relay?

I suspect that the relay is not your problem unless you are using the same brand relays as replacements. Do you have a testlight to check what is happening at the relay connections?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i need to wait till monday so i can get a different relay and try it
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

Great, I may be swamped at work and won't be online until later on Monday but I will check through the day when I can. Thanks for letting me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was the starter switch - replaced it and the car has worked great for the last 2 days
Expert:  George H. replied 7 years ago.

So do you think tapping the relay was a concidence that it worked every time?

The starter switch is the ignition switch and it was not providing power to the relay to close the contacts and power the computer and the fuel pump?

Do you now have a testlight so that you can be sure of the cause or are you going to wait and see if you have problems in the future?