Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Honda Factory Trained Technician with 13 years of experience
14297198

whats is the meaning of vsa its showing on my dashboard honda

Customer Question

whats is the meaning of vsa its showing on my dashboard honda pilot 2005
Category: Honda
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
It means there is a fault stored in the vsa system and that the system is disabled because of it. You'll need a fully functional scan tool to determine what code is stored before I can assist you in dianosis of the problem.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.
Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Honda Factory Trained Technician with 13 years of experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is vsa system and how do i enable it
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
It's the vehicle stability assist system, it's what keeps the vehicle straight in bad road conditions using a combination of throttle control and individual control of the brakes. In order to enable it you'll need to fix whatever problem has caused the fault. It's also possible that you've accidentally hit the vsa button disabling the system, but that would reset as soon as you turned the vehicle off.

Edited by Josh on 12/4/2009 at 2:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well i just worked on the hands like brakes and ball joints yesterday and today its shows that sign but i notice the brake makes noise each time i press on it could that be the problem?
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Yes, since the vsa system uses the wheel speed sensors as an input it's definately possible something was damaged during the repair, you'll need to have the vehicle scanned for codes to determine exactly what the problem is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could that possibly be the brakes because there is no way i can scan the car thats why i am asking this question
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
It wouldn't be an issue with the brakes themselves, it'll be a problem with a sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dont u have idea of the sensor because no way to scan it
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
It'll likely be one of the wheel speed sensors, but before you spend money guessing which one it'd be best to have it scanned by a shop.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok where is wheel speed censors located ? and what fault will it bring to a car so i can compare if thats what i feel when i am driving it
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
It's located at wheel hub, there will be a black wire running from the vehicle to the hub leading to it. It's cause the vsa light to come on and possibly erroneous antilock brake operation, but mainly it'll turn the light on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
pls can u explain this erroneous antilock brake operation?/
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Antilock brakes coming on when there isn't wheel slippage
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wheel slippage this again i dont understand ,anyway tell me what to do if i discover wheer the vsa problems is
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
the antilock brake system operates when it senses one of the wheels has locked up during a stop, a faulty wheel speed sensor will not give an accurate reading of the wheel speed, so it'll think the wheel is no longer turning, then try to release the brake on that wheel.

When you find out what the problem is you can disconnect the battery to clear the code. Make sure you have the radio code if you have an antitheft radio before you disconnect the battery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well if i drive and the speed is 60 the whole body and stiring will be shaking whats the problem about that
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
That's a wheel balance issue, if balance the tires it'll likely take care of that issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did that already but still cant solve it
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Was the vibration there before you did the brakes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes its there and i dint just do the brakes tierod and socket stabilizer linkage bread pad but i havent test it to 60 speed today cos i just did all that yesterday what i notice was just that vsa that came up from teh dashboard
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
I'd try clearing the vsa code and see what happens when you drive it, it may go away, though probably not.

As far as the vibration, when you balanced it, did you notice if all of the tires were round, no flat spots or high spots? While the tire may be balanced it may also have a problem that's not allowing it to roll smoothly.

Alternatively, It could be an axle problem, but usually those will go away if you let off the accellerator.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
anyway i ll try that again and see if it not vibrating again then i come back and let u know okay
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
ok, let me know what happens.