HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA
8532170

2004 Honda Accord EX: navigation system..CD player..diagnose..cheaper

I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX w/Navigation, My navigation system will not boot for months, then one day will come up, but not for long, XM Radio skips in and out like I'm playing a CD, and CD player won't play CD's, dealer keeps telling me I have to put it on a diagnostic machine for $120 just to diagnose the problem, and usually it says the unit needs to be replaced for about $3k. Well, being a single mom of 3, I don't have that kind of money, is there anything cheaper I can do?

HelloCustomerand welcome to justanswer.com,

$120 must be their diagnostic rate that they charge. Unfortunately most times it is the unit that is the faulty component.

If have some one or you want to try and replace the unit yourself it isn't really that difficult to replace.

you can find units on e-bay for a lot less than the dealer is trying to charge you for a replacement unit

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So given my current symptoms, you believe the whole unit will need to be replaced? Is there a repair manual for the whole unit with step-by-step instructions on replacing?

yes, I believe the unit is the problem. Sometimes there are wiring issues, but from the symptoms you describe, I would have to guess the unit is faulty..

I can send you a link to the instructions on replacing the unit .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, please send me the link to replacing, I also went in and ran a Navi System Link Diagnostic on the F1-ECU Meter, and the B-Can shows red NG, and a fail, then the F-Can is NG with Eng ID 12C 224, Meter is OD4 1F4,

here is the link you need

click here

upper panel

center pocket

Let em know if you need any other assistance

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for these links, do you know anything about the diagnostic codes I gave you in my last response? The red lights, and NG, and Fails (in which it failed on headlights and everything else on that screen!!
NG in either one of the screens (F-can or B-can) indicate the is a DTC stored for the navi in the body control module. This can only be accessed by the Honda Diagnostic Scan tool at the dealer. The fact that iit is showing NG in more than one screen more than likely condems the navi unit as being the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there anything you have that works interactively with what the screen displays for the 04 Accord Navigation system? I found one for the 08 Nav, but not the 04, I'm thinking there may be a short somewhere or loose connection?
no I don't have anything like that. A loose connection or short could be a problem as i stated earlier. You need to remove the unit first and check the connections on the back of the unit for any loose terminals and so forth.

I sure will. if i come across anything I will repost it here as long as this thread is still open. We cannot contact customers directly, only thru the site.

If you have been helped and are satisfied with my service please accept the answer at this time. thanks for your business.