johnny civic
johnny civic, Honda Technician
Experience:  20 years mechanical experience
25641399

Replaced head gasket on 1994 Honda civic with 1.5l 16v engine.

Customer Question

Replaced head gasket on 1994 Honda civic with 1.5l 16v engine. Everything went together nice except timing belt. Lines up cam and crank marks, installed timing belt, hand turned engine a couple of time, marks still good, put all parts on engine. Tried to start, turns over ok, but sputters and hesitates and will not catch. Could my timing belt be off a tooth?
Thanks
Category: Honda
Expert:  johnny civic replied 4 years ago.
do you have fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there seems to be fuel pressure when I open the pressure relief valve. I can also hear the pump kick on.

i assume the car ran prior to the head gasket issue?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it ran fine. The gasket blew between cylinder 4 and one of the coolant channels.
check engine light on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before or after gasket replacement? It was not on prior to change.
is the light on now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The motor does not start. It sputters but will not start, so I do not know if the timing light is on. I am not sure if the car has OBDII, if so, I can read the codes quickly if there are any. Do you know if it is OBDII?
no,its obd1 it has a 2 pin connector under the right side of the dash you need to jump and the mil will blink the code.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will not be able to do that right now, since it is dark. When I drove it before I replaced the head gasket, the light was not on. I will go out there and turn it on to see if the check engine light goes out.
let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The light went out after 5 seconds.
thats good. i would double check your marks on the cam and crank,but im prettty sure youd have to be off by more than a tooth. another check you can look for is take the distributor cap off. line up your timing marks and look to see where the rotor is pointing. it should be pointed at number 1 spark plug wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not remove the distributor when I removed the head. Is there a way that it could have been knocked out of alignment?
not enought to make it not run. the removal of the distributor cap i suggested is solely to check your cam timing.
johnny civic, Honda Technician
Experience: 20 years mechanical experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will try that in the morning. Thank you for your help.
look me up if you need any more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will. Thanks
thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Turned out to be plug wires in the wrong order. The diagram in the Haynes manual was incorrect. You pointed me in the right direction when you mentioned the distributor cap. Thanks again.

glad i could help, if therer is anythign else i can help you with please look me up.

If you could please accept my answer that would be great. Thank you again