MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

1991 Honda Accord EX: with manual transmission..thermostat housing

On a 1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon with manual transmission, what do I have to remove to gain access to the Vehicle Speed Sensor to replace it? (There appears to be the thermostat housing and the gearshift cable plus its support flange in the way.)
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 7 years ago.
Hello welcome to the site. This vss sensor is actually very easy to replace. If you look straight down by the actual throttle body you will see the power steering speed sensor. This is what's spins the vss you don't need to remove anything except maybe the air intake tube you will see the connector plugs are gray.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I had already removed the air intake hose. I had also removed the 3P connector. But I can see only a little bit of the VSS from the passenger side of the engine bay. It sits on top of the power steering sensor, I understand. If I look down from directly above I cannot see much at all because of the thermostat housing, some small hoses, and the flange holding the gearchange cable. The gearchange cable is right on top of the VSS.So something has to be removed to get access to the 10mm bolts that hold the VSS. The bolts are not visible from above at all.
Ok I just looked at mine also I have a lx 5 spd wagon also.
I forgot about the cable. Remove the 12mm bolts and you should be able to gain acces to the bolts.
It's a tight fit. You mat have to remove the small cotter pins from the shift levers

Edited by master tech on 11/1/2009 at 11:40 PM EST