Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2004 Honda: 70K..The brake light warning..cold engine

I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey with almost 70K on it. The brake light warning has just started to come on within the last few days, but then immediately turns off. It seems as if it is affected by a cold engine, as it doesn't do it throughout the rest of the day. The brakes have not been replaced yet, but were checked this past June after I started hearing a squeaking sound. I was told by the mechanic that we have about 20-30 percent life still left on them. Is this something that I need to have checked asap? I have 3 kids I shuttle back and forth, and don't want to have anything serious happen while driving. We have had numerous problems with sensors in this car since we purchased it.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like the problem is likely the brake level swtich which is located on the brake reservoir. You can disconnect the electrical connector next time this happens and if the light turns off you know the switch is the problem. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do these switches go bad? How would I tell my husband to disconnect it? And the light only comes on for a few seconds and turn off. I did notice that if I depressed the pedal a little harder, the light came on. It was a rather cold morning, and we have been having some real cold starts to the day here....about when the light started coming on.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If the light only comes on for a few seconds that is normal. When you start your vehicle all of the bulbs on the dash are suppose to light up for a few seconds to show they are working and if its cold out sometimes it takes longer for the sensors to register the amount of fluid, send it to the computer, and then back to the dash. So if this light is only comming on for a few seconds at startup I would not worry about it but if its staying on or comming on while driving then have the sensor checked. If your vehicle is having a hard time starting you may want to change your sparkplugs and use NGK replacements, using synthetic oil also helps with cold startups. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We are using synthetic oil, and the light is coming on (stays on for a few seconds then turns off) while driving when I need to depress the brake pedal. The brakes have been squeaking. Anything I should notice/feel if it is a more serious problem..
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If the brakes are making noises this likely means one of your pads are beginning to get low and since the light is only comming on for a few seconds I would not worry. If the problem got more serious the abs light would come on and it would be obvious in the pedal as it would be spoungey or too hard and you wouldnt be able to stop well. So if the brakes feel fine other then the noise and the lights are staying off you dont need to worry. And as far as the hard starts my next step would be to replace the spark plugs. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.