HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA
8532170

I have a 2004 Honda Pilot. The shop told my wife today that

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Honda Pilot. The shop told my wife today that we have "upper bypass gaskets - O-ring leaking" and they wanted $375. to fix it. The last time I was told I needed my spark plugs changed and they wanted $350. to do that. I changed the plugs for about $7 a piece. What's the story on this O-ring leak?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 7 years ago.

Hello D Guilaume amd welcome to justanswer.com,

I not reall sure which gasket/o-ring they are talking about.

Did you take the Pilot into the shop for a specific problem?

Is this at the dealer?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My wife took the car for an oil change. They pointed out a leak that is dripping coolant. I haven't seen it yet and won't see it for a coule of hours. I assume it is a cooling system upper bypass hose fitting/gasket/o-ring. It has not been a problem yet.

oh ok once you said coolant leak I know exactly what they are talking about.

As you are standing in front of the motor the leak is form the right side of the motor.

There is a coolant passage that is there that runs to both cylinder heads. The main o-ring deteriorates and starts to leak coolant. Usually it is just a seeping of coolant and not an actual dripping leak, but I have seen a few leak.

The upper intake plenum has to be removed to do the job along with the coolant passage housing. the job can be a little involved. i can send you a link to replacing it if you wish to try it yourself.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please send me the link for replacing it. Can you also tell me what parts are likely to be needed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do want the link to replacing the O-ring you offered below. This was to the question about the coolant leak on my 2004 Honda Pilot referred to below.    

Answer
Friday, September 18, 2009 10:20 AM (8 minutes and 22 seconds later)              
ACCEPTED oh ok once you said coolant leak I know exactly what they are talking about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer has helped you please "ACCEPT”the answer.This is a pay site and I do not get credit for my answers until you accept.Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated. Thank you for your business!
HONDASERVICE7791 (Online) -- Honda Technician -- 99% Positive Feedback on 1010 Honda Accepts
OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE REPAIRING FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC VEHICLES, EXPIRED ASE MASTER CERTIFIED

here is the link you need.

click here

I would say besides the water passage o-rings you will probably need to replace the upper intake gaskets and egr valve gasket.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The link you sent doesn't seem to go anywhere. Can you send me the link written out so I can input it into the browser address please.

Thanks [email protected]
this is the problem you are experiencing correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, this is the leak problem described above.

here you go:

2004 PILOT - Water Passage Replacement

1. Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and navigation system, then write down the frequencies for the radio's preset buttons.

2. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery first, then the positive cable, and remove the battery.

3. Drain the engine coolant.

4. Remove the intake manifold cover and ignition coil cover.

5. Remove the vacuum hoses and breather pipe, then remove the intake air duct.

1. Remove the upper radiator hoses, lower radiator hose, heater hoses and water bypass hoses from the water passage, then remove the water passage.

2. Install the water passage in the reverse order of removal.

3. Install the battery. Clean the battery posts and cable terminals with sandpaper, then assemble them and apply grease to prevent corrosion.

4. Refill the radiator with engine coolant, and bleed air from the cooling system.

5. Clean up any spilled engine coolant.

6. Perform the powertrain control module (PCM) idle learn procedure, power window control unit reset procedure.

7. Enter the anti-theft codes for the radio and the navigation system, then enter the customer's radio station presets.

8. Set the clock.

Edited by HONDASERVICE7791 on 9/18/2009 at 3:04 PM EST
here is the picture also:graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's all I need. Thanks for your help.
great. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for your business