Andrew
Andrew, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Currently working for Acura at this time with previous work with volvo
17355537

Can my 2006 Acura MDX 4 WD be flat towed behind my motorho

Customer Question

Can my 2006 Acura MDX 4 WD be flat towed behind my motorhome?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
you can tow your mdx behind your motor home just remember to put it in nuetral. you also have to have the key in the ignition turned on so the steering column is not locked. there is nothing special that needs to be done to tow the vehicle. the only thing i have seen done is some people disconnect the battery while towing so it does not die while towing since the key is turned on....just make sure you have the radio and nav code (if you have nav) for when you get there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The owner's manual for my 4-wheel drive mdx says that you can only flat tow for 50 miles and no faster than 35 mph to prevent damage to the drive train. If this is the case, then towing behind a motor-home would not be feasible. Is flat towing behind a motor-home only able to be done with a 2-wheel drive mdx and not with a 4-wheel drive mdx?    
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
there are noXXXXXmdxs. i have seen a few mdxs that get towed long distance behind motorhomes without any issue...they come in quite regularly with tow behind rig attached to the front end so I know there are people out there doing it...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Andrew, what do you think is the manufacturer's concern when they say to only tow for 50 miles and no faster than 35 mph? Are they just being too conservative?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Answer really hasn't addressed my concern regarding the manufacturer's warning to only tow for 50 miles and not faster than 35 mph.
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
i will check into it but I know people that tow these with no issues. i am sure they are being conservative. i will see if i can find out anything about it...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Andrew, one thing to note is that up until 2005, the MDX was able to be flat towed according to the owner's manual. Then in model year 2006 the MDX owner's manual says only flat tow in an emergency situation and only for 50 miles and not faster than 35 mph. Did something change between 2005 and 2006? I can't seem to find an answer to my concern and I don't want to damage my vehicle.
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.

from what i can find the issue was not so much drivetrain damage when can occur while flat towing if you go over 65 but more to do with the battery draining and leaving the customers with a dead battery after a few hours of towing. you need to work out how to power the brakelights and what not that will not be a big drain on the battery. the following is from the 05 mdx owners manual for flat towing. there were no major changes made to the 06 so there is no real reason why it can not be towed flat as well. the issue with the drive train is that without the motor running the trans fluid does not get circulated in the trans and if driven to far and to fast can cause damage to the trans gears. you should be ok if you follow the 05 procedure for towing your mdx. i would make sure to carry a jump box though in case the battery is dead when you get to your destination...

Your MDX can be towed behind a
motorhome at legal highway speeds
up to 65 mph (100 km/h). Do not
exceed 65 mph (100 km/h) or severe
transmission damage will occur. To
avoid damage to the 4WD system, it
must be towed with all four wheels
on the ground (flat towing).
When purchasing a tow bar, make
sure you select a reputable
manufacturer. Follow the
manufacturer's attachment
instructions carefully.
Perform this procedure every day
immediately before you begin towing.
Otherwise, severe automatic
transmission damage will occur.
Start the engine.
Press on the brake pedal. Shift
lever through all the positions
R,N, D , D , D , 2, 1).
Shift to D , then to N. Let the
engine run for three minutes,
turn it off.
Release the parking brake.
Leave the ignition switch in
ACCESSORY (I) position so
steering wheel does not lock.
Make sure the radio and any
plugged into the accessory power
sockets are turned off so you
not run down the battery. 5 4 3
5
If you tow more than 8 hours in one
day, you should repeat the above
procedure at least every 8 hours
(when you stop for fuel, etc.) Extended Towing The steering system can be damaged if
the steering wheel is locked. Leave the
ignition switch in the ACCESSORY (I)
position, and make sure the steering
wheel turns f reely bef ore you begin
towing.

Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
did this answer your questions or do you need more info...