Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Honda Factory Trained Technician with 13 years of experience
14297198

1992 HONDA Accord Head removal

1992 HONDA Accord Head removal
Category: Honda
Expert:  Josh replied 5 years ago.
Hello, here's the procedure for head removal.

NOTE:

• Engine removal is not required in this procedure.
  • Inspect the timing belt before removing the cylinder head.
  • Turn the crankshaft so that the No. 1 cylinder is at top dead center (TDC).
  • Mark all emissions hoses before disconnecting them.

CAUTION:

• To avoid damaging the cylinder head, wait until the engine coolant temperature drops below 38°C (10O°F) before loosening the head bolts.
  • If the vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft radio, be sure to get the five digit code from the customer BEFORE disconnecting the battery. Failure to do this may render the radio inoperative.
  1. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.
  2. Drain the engine coolant.
graphic
3. Relieve fuel pressure. WARNING! Do not smoke while working on fuel system, keep open flame or spark away from work area. Drain fuel only into an approved container.
graphic
  1. Disconnect the fuel feed hose.
  2. Remove the vacuum hose, breather hose and intake air duct.
  3. Remove the water bypass hose from the cylinder head.
  4. Remove the charcoal canister hose from the throttle body.
graphic
  1. Remove the brake booster vacuum hose (and vacuum hose mount (A/T only)) from the intake manifold.
  2. Remove the fuel return hose.
  3. Remove the cruise control vacuum hose.
graphic
  1. Remove the throttle cable from the throttle body.
  2. Remove the throttle control cable at the throttle body (A/T only). NOTE: Take care not to bend the cable when removing it. Always replace a kinked cable with a new one.
  3. Disconnect the two connectors from the distributor.
    • Ignition coil connector
    • TDC/CRANK/CYL sensor connector.
  1. Remove the spark plug caps and distributor.
  2. Remove the emission control box.
    • Do not disconnect emission hoses.
    • Disconnect the two connectors before removing it.
  1. Remove the connector and the terminal from the alternator, then remove the engine wire harness from the valve cover (cylinder head cover).
  2. Disconnect the engine wire harness connectors, then remove the harness clamps from the cylinder head and the intake manifold.
    • Four injector connectors
    • EACV connector
    • TA sensor connector
    • Thermoswitch (on the thermostat cover)
    • EGR valve lift sensor connector (A/T only)
    • Throttle angle sensor connector.
    • TW sensor connector.
    • Coolant temperature gauge sending unit.
    • Thermoswitch (on the water outlet cover).
graphic
18. Remove the upper radiator hose and the heater inlet hose from the cylinder head, then remove the heater outlet hose and pipe bracket bolt from the intake manifold.
graphic
19. Remove the therostat assembly from the intake manifold.
graphic
20. Disconnect the connector and the vacuum tube, then remove the cruise control actuator.
graphic
  1. Remove the mounting bolt, nut and the V-belt from the power steering pump, then remove the bolts and pipe. Loosen the adjusting bolt. Pull the pump away from the mounting bracket.
NOTE:
  • Plug the pipe and the pump port.
  • Do not disconnect the hose.
  • After installing, adjust the tension of the power steering belt.
  1. Lift the car up and support it on safety stands. WARNING!
    • Make sure jacks and safety stands are placed properly and hoist brackets are attached to correct positions on the engine.
    • Apply parking brake and block the rear wheels so the car will not roll off stands and fall while you are working under it.
  1. Remove the front wheels.
  2. Remove the splash shield.
  3. Remove the intake manifold bracket bolts.
graphic
graphic
  1. Remove the exhaust manifold.
  2. Remove the exhaust manifold heat insulator.
graphic
  1. Remove the intake manifold.
  2. Remove the cylinder head cover and engine ground wire.
  3. Remove the side engine mount bracket, then remove the timing belt upper cover.
  4. Loosen the timing belt adjusting bolt. NOTE: Push the tensioner to release tension from the belt, then retighten the adjusting bolt.
graphic
32. Remove the timing belt from the driven pulley
graphic
33. Remove the cylinder head bolts, then remove the cylinder head. CAUTION: To prevent warpage, unscrew the bolts in sequence 1/3 turn at a time; repeat the sequence until all bolts are loosened.
graphic

Install the cylinder head in the reverse order of removal:

• Always use a new head gasket.
  • Cylinder head and engine block surface must be clean.
  • "UP" mark on camshaft pulley should be at the top.
  • Turn the crankshaft puelly so the No. 1 cylinder is at top dead center (TDC).
  • Clean the oil control jet when installing.
graphic
  1. Cylinder head dowel pins and oil control jet must be aligned.
  2. Install the bolts that secure the intake manifold to its bracket but do not tighten them yet.
  3. Position the camshaft correctly.
graphic
  1. Tighten the cylinder head bolts sequentially in three steps. 1st step torque: 40 Nm (4.0 kg-m, 29 lb ft) 2nd step torque: 70 Nm (7.0 kg-m, 51 lb ft) 3rd step torque: 108 Nm (10.8 kg-m, 78 lb ft)
NOTE: Honda recommends using a plate-type torque wrench. When using a preset-type torque wrench, be sure to tighten slowly and not overtighten.
graphic
  1. Install the intake manifold and tighten the nuts in a criss-cross pattern in 2 or 3 steps, beginning with the inner nuts.
    • Always use a new intake manifold gasket.
  1. Install the heat insulator to the cylinder head and the block.
  2. Reinstall remaining components in reverse order of removal.
If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Honda Factory Trained Technician with 13 years of experience