Jim G
Jim G, Honda Technician
Experience:  30 years line tech Honda dealers. Honda Master & ASE Master Tech

Help. My Honda 2002 Odyssey wont start. The lights w

Help. My Honda 2002 Odyssey won't start. The lights work, the panel lights up. Just nothing.
Hello Odyssey, Is the red ALT/Charge light on when the key is turned on? What happens if you try to start with headlights on
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the alt charge light? The red battery lite is on. It doesn't make a difference if the headlights are on or not. The whole panel lights up. After I turn off the key, the key light flashes a few times. The anti theft light is also flashing.
The flashing anti theft light is red? What is the green key light doing while you try to start?It should come on and then go out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, the flashing anti theft light is red, it is over by the radio.

The green key light comes on when I turn the key, as I hold the key in the on position it goes out.

Then when I turn key to off position it flashes

Ok Immobilizer system seems to working ok.Has there been any work done on engine or transmission recently? Try putting shifter into N and try to start with foot on brake
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No work done on engine or transmission recently.

Shifter will not move out of park.

Still will not start with foot on brake.

With foot on brake and key on you should be able to move from P to N.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK, I got the shifter to move to N

Put foot on brake, turn key

Still nothing

Customer It seems there is no quick fix at this time,Someone with a meter or test light will have to check the starter circut.Do you have an after market alarm,remote starter or lojack installed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, factory installed immobilizer with chip in key.
Can you go to battery and wiggle the battery cables.Long shot it is possable to blow a main fuse in under hood fuse box with jump start.It would be 50 or 80AMP
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi - I just got home and took over for my wife who now has a headache. I put the end of one key between the key ignition switch and shifter along the steering column and with the other key it started right up. So does that mean the sensor in the steering column is failing and is not getting a strong enough key code.

Hi XXXXX could not prevent the headache I know how it feels. I have never seen that but the key could be failing,I have heard cell phones. airports and metal detectors.Do you have at least one key that works every time? If a bad key is tried too many times the system will shut down for a period of time.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
All three keys have the same problem.
Then with all that info and the fact that you can start with two keys together it seems that the reciever must be failing. JimG That must be why the next generation of immoblizer is powered from the key. 2002 is powered from main relay.To be sure, power signal would have to be checked at reciever.Then circut to PCM for immobilizer signal. JimG
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would I be better off at a Auto Security store that specializes in security or the expensive Honda dealer?
My choice would be Honda dealer because there may be programing issues when replacing the reciever.Just be sure to get estimate up front. maybe 1 hr diag and 1.5 repair at whatever their rate is.You can check with me or go online for est on parts. JimG Good luck Post again if I can further assist