Jim G
Jim G, Honda Technician
Experience:  30 years line tech Honda dealers. Honda Master & ASE Master Tech
20355259

92 Honda Accord: Broke #6 camshaft holder..mount..distributor..spec

Broken Camshaft Holder

Enough said. '92 Honda Accord, 2.2L. Broke #6 camshaft holder at the mount for the distributor (torqued distributor per spec, but alas...). Cam itself is held into place fine, but now no place to secure the top part of the distributor.

Been told already that this particular part may have been forged along with the cylinder head and then separated during manufacturing, but apparently "match" each other (cam holder vs. head block).

The car being old as it is, replacing the whole cylinder head and assembly is not worth it.

What I am going to attempt to do is go to the junk yard and pull one off an old car. That's all I can think of to do. I am interested in other suggestions (especially creative ones) as well as advice on installing a junk yard replacement. At this point, I don't have much to lose if I can't make an attempt to fix inexpensively, so I'm going to risk it and try.

** Will pay good bonus to whoever if we manage to get this working today!!
HelloCustomerYou are correct and don't have much to lose now trying used part.The cam holders are line bored after casting,and in your favor Honda has a very small tolerance when designed.The other though is to use a good two part epoxy on the broken tab. good luck Jimg
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you really think that an epoxy would be strong enough to handle the heat/vibration?
Yes I have been forfed to use JB Weld in some strange places.be sure to follow box instrustions close.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay, going to try junk yard part anyways, but do you have any suggestions on particular brands of epoxy? I figure JB-weld might be a bit thick...
I like JB the best ,make sure 50/50 mix ,install within 5 min of mixing, just a thin coat on mating surface should work. JimG Let me know how you make out later.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Another question. Decided to try to take out the broken camshaft holder to try to take it with me for comparison. Realizing now that getting it off is a job within itself. Seems like whatever gasket sealant was used in the factory has it on there pretty good. Am I going to have to completely take apart the entire rocker/camshaft assembly to get this thing off? If so, would rather JB weld.. but I have some reservations on how it will hold up. I do have a good surface to bond to it looks like -- clean break at the base of the bracket for the distributor, right at the level with the bolts that hold the camshaft holder onto the block.
Hi XXXXX do belive at least the cam will have to come up some ,I think all the caps have dowl pins around bolts.That means cam belt will have to come off as well.It is a job in itself.The distributor does not have to be all that tight on the top bolt.Honda uses a silicone sealant on all gasket surfaces now. The cam caps are not sealed only dowl pins. JimG
Try the JB weld nothing to lose but the cost of the epoxy JimG
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tried the JB weld -- looked like it was going to work, but alas.. it broke again. Didn't even break when I torqued it down.. I slipped with my hand and lightly bumped it (and I mean lightly!) and it broke. So much for that.

In more positive news though, I bolted everything else together and the bolts connected to the engine block look like they will be sufficient to hold everything where it should be. Fired everything up and I am back in business.

On a side note, I checked with my cheap-o-timing-light and even with the timing in full advance, I still can't get the timing mark to line up. It's close, but a little off. I am guessing everything is just plain "old" and not quite in tip-top shape anymore. Sound right to you? BTW I bought the vehicle in 2004 with 118,000 miles on it. Not bad for a '92. I'm now up to about 149k. I personally have not -- and I am not aware of the timing belt ever being changed. It didn't look bad when I checked the valve clearances not long after I bought the car.

Other than that, I'm back in business. Thanks for you help.

Customer Good work .I have seen that before .That will keep you going,not much oil pressure at that point.If the belt looked good and was not dry cracked,it may have been done at 105k. Usually the distributor position is just about in the center of the slots and works fine .The ECU does adjust the timing.If it runs with out pinging you are good to go.The distributor can get some age related problems but not too much moving inside. Happy motoring, JimG
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My stupid self... didn't do the timing right after all.. hence the complaint that things didn't didn't sound right. They didn't drive right, either. Very sluggish. DUH.. I did the timing trying to line up the TDC mark and no the red timing mark. Go figure. Hope I didn't do too much damage. Adjusted as soon as I got home.. all is good now.

THANK YOU for all your help.
Customer we have all been there and done that but hopefully only once. Thank you.Cool JimG