Jeff, Hondaologist
Experience:  Platinum 3 Master Honda Tech/20 yrs exp ASE Master/Advanced Level Specialist

2001 honda civic ex: overheats..overheating..the hoses they are..tight

Customer Question

I have a 2001 honda civic ex and it overheats. I replaced the thermostat and it is still overheating. Every time I fill the hoses they are tight but both are hot. And since the first time it over heated when I start it some times it sputters when running Need help.

Richard Zimmerman
mechanic also but stumped
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jeff replied 7 years ago.

Good evening

Have you started the car with the radiator cap removed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes I have ,and I topped it off it will run cool for about 40 miles and then overheat again.I also pessure tested it and did not loose coolant.
Expert:  Jeff replied 7 years ago.

First of all I want to make sure that you bled all the air out of the coolant sys when you filled it and that the coolant fans cylcle and it does not run hot at idle.Next, if you started the car with the radiator cap removed and it did not push water out of the filler and if you pressure tested the coolant system and did not loose pressure and if when it runs hot it does not loose coolant, the next step is to drive the car untill the car starts to run hot and turn the heater on wide open heat and blower. Observe the temp and if the temp goes down when you turn on the heat, the radiator is not flowing enough and needs to be cleaned/replaced.

Expert:  Jeff replied 7 years ago.

Hows the car running?