Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How to Change Timing Belt o 2001 Honda CRV

Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions:

Removal & Installation

2.0L Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Position crankshaft so that No. 1 piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC).
  3. Remove the splash guard.
  4. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  5. If equipped, remove the cruise control actuator.
  6. Place a piece of wood between the oil pan and the jack, support the engine with a jack.
  7. Remove upper engine bracket.
  8. Remove the valve cover.
  9. Remove the timing belt covers.
  10. Loosen the adjusting bolt 180 degrees. Release the tension from the belt by pushing on the tensioner, then retighten the adjusting bolt.
  11. Remove the timing belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Crankshaft timing mark will be easier to verify when clean -2.0L (B20B4) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Intake and exhaust camshaft timing marks properly aligned at TDC -2.0L (B20B4) engine

To install:

1. Be sure the timing marks are properly aligned.
  2. Install the timing belt on the pulleys following this sequence:
    1. Crankshaft pulley.
    2. Adjusting pulley.
    3. Water pump pulley.
    4. Exhaust camshaft pulley.
    5. Intake camshaft pulley.

3. Loosen and retighten the adjusting bolt to allow tension to be applied to the belt.
  4. Install the lower and middle timing covers.
  5. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the bolt to 130 ft. lbs. (177 Nm).
    WARNING If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft, STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.
  6. Rotate the crankshaft about 5-6 times counterclockwise to seat the timing belt.
  7. Position the No. 1 piston to TDC.
  8. Loosen the adjusting bolt 1 / 2 turn.
  9. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on the camshaft pulley.
  10. Tighten the adjusting bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54Nm).
  11. Retighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to 130 ft. lbs. (177 Nm).
  12. Install the valve cover.
  13. Install the engine mounting bracket, then remove the jack.
  14. If removed, install the cruise control actuator.
  15. Install the accessory drive belts.
  16. Install the splash guard.
  17. Connect the negative battery cable.
  18. Check the engine operation and road test.

drive belts:

Removal & Installation

2.0L Engine

The 2.0L engine uses separate drive belts for the air conditioner, alternator and the power steering pump. The outer most belt of the three belts is the power steering belt, followed by the air conditioner belt, and lastly the alternator belt. Therefore to remove the air conditioner belt, requires power steering belt removal. To remove the alternator belt requires removal of both the power steering and air conditioner belts.

Air Conditioner Belt

The air conditioner compressor is mounted to the engine and cannot be moved. The belt is tensioned by an idler pulley, which has two fasteners securing it to the engine. The locknut and fastener are installed through a slotted plate and allows the pulley to pivot.

1. Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the power steering belt.
  3. Loosen the pivot bolt of the idler pulley bracket, then loosen the locknut of the adjusting bolt.
  4. Turn the adjusting bolt fully counterclockwise to achieve the maximum amount of slack.
  5. Remove the belt from the pulleys, one pulley at a time.

To install:

1. Install the belt around the pulleys, beginning with the largest pulley first.
  2. Follow the adjustment procedure to correctly tension the belt.
  3. Tighten the pivot bolt of the idler pulley bracket, then tighten the locknut of the adjusting bolt.
  4. Check the belt tension. If the belt tension is not within specification, repeat the adjustment procedures until the proper belt tension is achieved.
  5. Install and properly tension the power steering belt.
  6. Reconnect the negative battery cable and enter the radio security code.

Alternator Belt

The alternator has two fasteners securing it to a bracket mounted on the engine. The upper locknut and fastener are installed through a slotted bracket and the lower fastener allows the alternator to pivot.

2. Remove the power steering and air conditioner compressor belts.
  3. Loosen the upper locknut and lower pivot nut.
  4. Move the top most portion of the alternator assembly toward the engine to fully release the belt tension.

To install:

3. Tighten the upper locknut, lower pivot bolt, and then check the belt tension. If the belt tension is not within specification, repeat the adjustment procedures until the proper belt tension is achieved.
  4. Install the power steering and air conditioner compressor belts and tension correctly.
  5. Reconnect the negative battery cable and enter the radio security code.

Power Steering Pump Belt

The power steering pump has two fasteners securing it to a bracket mounted on the engine. The lower locknut and fastener are installed through a slotted bracket and the upper fastener allows the pump to pivot. To remove:

2. Loosen the upper pivot nut and lower locknut.
  3. Move the pump by placing a 1 / 2 inch breaker bar into the square hole in the pump, near the upper pivot bolt. Move the pump assembly toward the engine to decrease the belt tension.
  4. Remove the belt from the pulleys, one pulley at a time.

To install:

3. Tighten the upper pivot bolt and lower locknut and then check the belt tension. If the belt tension is not within specification, repeat the adjustment procedures until the proper belt tension is achieved.
  4. Reconnect the negative battery cable and enter the radio security code

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.