MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech

My driver side door on my 99 Honda Accord will not open from

My driver side door on my 99 Honda Accord will not open from the inside or the outside. Nothing happened, I just went out to my car one day, and it just didn't open. From all that I have read, it sounds like it is my latch assembly. There is no way I am taking it to honda becuase i don't have 500 dollars to get it fixed. So I need to know how to get my door panel off with the door closed and then how to get my car door open from there.

hello welcome to the site

you will need to drill the latch assy so you can turn the latch .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I know where to drill it and how? And how much is it to get the part I need to replace it?

the latch is going to run you about 95.00

the problem with the newer models is the lock actuator is dead smack in the way but the new latch comes with the actuator.

to make more room to work remove the drivers seat and then your able to remove the door panel carefully with our doing to much damage.

use this as a reference as the 99 will look a little different due to the actuator. but the latch will be the same .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So once I take my door panel off, I will see something like this, but it will have an acutator on it. Do I just drill through the acutator? And in the diagram, if I drill where the arrow is pointing, will that just make my door pop open? What am I drilling with?

use a 8mm drill bit..

remove the actuator.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
and my door will just pop open?

yes the drill will make contact and roll the latch up and the door will open.

this is a time consuming job and have actually have had to drill whole plate off

their is not a specific way just real world tips
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Alright. I really appreciate it. Last question. Is there anything tips you have for getting my door panel off while my door is closed?

not really just be careful and make sure you get the all the screws off.

i have only broken 1 door panel out of about 20 latch failures over the years.

and that was on coupe.

just take your time and you will have to use some muscle when removing the panel.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok. thanks. I know I said last question before. But I just thought of one more thing that I was unclear about. Can i just unscrew the actuator plate or will I have to do somethign wild to get it off? I have to go to bed. So if you will just respond. When I check my email in the morning I will accept it all and you can get the money. I really appreciate your time. It was informative. I feel better about doing this now. Thanks.
when you remove the door panel see if your able to remove the 2 screws for the actuator. if not just bust it off and then expose the latch