Andrew
Andrew, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Currently working for Acura at this time with previous work with volvo
17355537

2003 honda accord ex: park, and does not shift..brake light switch

Customer Question

my 2003 honda accord ex will not shift out of park, and does not shift properly when driving. I replaced the brake light switch, did not resolve the problem. what would cause this? the car has 76,000 miles and has been maintained properly.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
IS THE CHECK ENGIEN LIGHT ON?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, however it was recently do to a falty tps. I replaced the throtle body and the engine light no longer shows a problem.
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU PUT THE CAR IN PARK THAT THE LIGHT AROUND THE P IN THE CLUSTER LIGHTS UP.....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes the red light is on next to the P in the cluster.
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
WHAT IS IT DOING WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING. HOW IS THE TRANS ACTING UP...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It would not shift, I had to go through the gears manually and it would only work in first, second, and third. It would not shift into fourth. At first it works all right, had to use the bypass to get out of park, a bit rough from one gear to another, now I'm afraid to drive it around the corner. It really has not been driven sense the issue began. From my research, I found other incidents similar and the remedies ranged from senor issues all the way up to complete transmission failure.
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
LET EM LOOK INTO A BIT TO SEE WHAT YOUR BEST OPTION WOULD BE...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
all right, if it helps to speak my phone number is XXXXX I hope you can help me, I would rather not go to the dealer. They always seem to going to most expensive direction. I'm mechanically inclined just seems you need a degree in physics to work on this car.
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
DO ANY OF THE LIGHTS BLINK LIKE THE D4 LIGHT OR ANYTHING OTHER THEN THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The green key light blinks when the car turned on and off. besides that everything turns on when the car is started and imediately turn off.
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
ok we are going to have to get hte system to tell us what code is stored in the system....under the passanger side of the dash board there is two pin connector that has nothing plugged into it. it is usually blue but it can sometimes be grey. it will be eas to find if you take the under cover off from the underside of the dash. in fact it is usually attached to the cover. you need to short those two wires together with either a paper clip od a jumper wire then turn the key on and count the number of times the d4 light blinks this will be the code in the system so pay attention to the number of blnk and how far apart they are....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Andrew, I've removed the glove box, the side panel (from the center console) and I do not see a two prong connector.I have removed pretty much the entire interior, including front seats. Center console is out exposing the shifter mechanism, all the panels from the console up to the dash panel. I have a code reader, I'll run a diagnostic and see if I can get a error code. Thank you for your help so far, if you have any more advise or direction I should go, it would be appreciated.
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
YOU SHOULD HAVESAID YOU HAVE A CODE READER YOU WOULD NOT OF HAD TOP REMOVE ALL THAT STUFF. LET ME KNOW WHAT THE CODE IS THAT YOU ARE GETTING
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I apoligize, I had lent it out to my brother. I ran a diagnostic and no codes were found. The system passed without any issues. Odviously this is not the case, shifter does not work and I do not want to bypass the shifter lock again and take a chance of damaging the transmission. I still have not located the two prong plug you referred to. I'm at a lose. Is there a list of components used in the operation of the transmission.
Expert:  Andrew replied 7 years ago.
the connector is just above the passanger side kick panel in that corner. i will get a picture of it and post it up...