HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

1996 HONDA ACCORD 4 CYL WILL NOT START, TURNS OVER FINE. GETTING

Customer Question

1996 HONDA ACCORD 4 CYL
WILL NOT START, TURNS OVER FINE.

GETTING FUEL TO THE FUEL CONNECTER NEAR THE FUEL RAIL
GETTING SPARK FROM THE COIL

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN COMPLETED OR REPLACED
PLUG WIRES
PLUGS
ROTOR
DISTRIBUTOR CAP
BATTERY
COIL (USED)

THIS HAS BEED AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM SOMETIMES WHEN THE CAR SITS FOR APPROXIMATELY 12 OR MORE HOURS IT WOULD NOT START, BUT YOU MAY GO BACK AND TRY TO START IT AND IT WOULD START AND RUN FINE
WHEN IT DID START IT RAN EXCELLENT AND WOULD START OK UNTIL IT WAS LEFT PARKED FOR AWHILE????????
I AM NOW CRAZY FOM TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT.
THANKS
JED
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 5 years ago.
OK there are numerous different issues with this car when it does not start it has to be missing either spark or fuel,if its not then its getting flooded from sitting or there a is a partially clogged cat ,are you sure there is spark and fuel when this happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sure there is spark coming from coil, I assumed it was getting to the spark plugs ( I will check if plugs are getting fire the plug connectors are almost impossible to remove without breaking them. if it is the cat conv how would I know? The car is at my daughters house thirty min away from me, so I must drag what I need to her house,
Thanks
JED
Ok so its not starting right now,was the timing belt ever changed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, but the compression was checked and was ok also the gas pedal was not depressed when I attempted to start car?
Ok its fuel injected so no need to step on the gas but sometimes if it floods out then hold your foot to the floor and see if it starts,also it still will have compression if the belt jumped id also look into checking the timing how many miles on the car
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I will try to start it again, I will also check the timing, could you give me the correct procedure for this.
as i recall when the timing belt goes bad the engine seems to free wheel, this engine sounds normal.
It will be late today before I can get back to you on trying to start the engine. I am considering getting a junk distributor tnd trying that ???
Ok these are the most common problems for no start this way you have some idea coil,ignitor and distributor base,ignitor is very common its in the distributor and distributes the spark to the rotor then to the plugsalso the distributor base if its rusting inside then theres a good chance thats bad ,other problems are main relays which give the signal to the fuel pump to allow fuel to reach the injectors,also for a qucik check it could be the pcm is wet just pull back the passenger carpet and check for any signs of water it sounds like to me its either in the distributor or ignitor if it was running ok the timing should be ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I will get the used Dist and hope for the best. I will get back to you after this is completed.
Thanks again
JED
No problem glad to help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
used dist sid not help, same problem as before, I will have to find a book and check out the pmc. By the way it was dry in the area of the passengers floor.
Thanks
JED
Ok theres a good chance it still out of time possible jumped a few teeth off which will not allow it to start and you would still have fuel and spark the other possibility is a clogged cat the engine might not be able to breath
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check the timing tomorrow. Is the only way to check the converter is to disconnect it at the inlet?
Also, as I said there is fuel at the rail is there a switch or relay that inputs the fuel or is it accomplished through the computer?
Thanks
JED
Yes need to disconnect it at the inlet,also themain relay controls the fuel circuit under the left side of dash