Honda Team Leader
Honda Team Leader, Honda & ASE Master Certified Tech.
Experience:  15 Year experienced Honda & ASE Master Certified Technician. Michelin PAX Tire Certified.
11307422

2003 Honda accord LX A/C, heater, defroster fan, not working.

Customer Question

2003 Honda accord LX: A/C, heater, defroster fan, not working. OHM all fuses OK, 12volt tested the fan motor, OK.....not sure what to check next....I have no relay experience. The A/C (on and off) light in the dash is working properly. Thanks GH
[email protected]
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda Team Leader replied 7 years ago.

Hi there! Sounds like the power transistor may be to blame. Before you point your finger at the blower motor, perform this check.

Wire colors are black/yellow and black

1. Disconnect the 4P connector from the power transistor.

1. Measure the resistance between the No. 3 and No. 4 (4-door) or No. 1 and No. 2 (2-door) terminals of the power transistor. It should be about 1.4-1.5 kW.

• If the resistance is within the specifications, go to step 3.

• If the resistance is not within the specifications, replace the power transistor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Where is the power transistor located?

Here is the graphic that includes it's location. You can see it if you look from the passenger side under the dash. You may have to drop the glove box down by un-clipping the support strut on the right side of the box then pressing in on both sides.graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is step three. I cannot access step three link. Please advise.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, Here is the deal. I feel like an amature. I replaced the power transistor unit, but pryor to complete installation I ran it to see if it would work. It did, for about five minutes then shut down again. I realize the air in the A/C unit acutally cools off the unit. Did I over heat it by running the A/C without the power transistor installed correctly in the air path? Or is there possilbly another problem?

GH