MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

Air conditioner..the car loses power..starts shaking..screeching noise

When I turn my air conditioner on, the car loses power and starts shaking. It also makes a terrible screeching noise.
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Honda?
-What model is your Honda?
-How many miles are on your Honda?
-What type of engine is in your Honda?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1999
Civic DX
129,760
four cylinder
I haven't tried anything because we just discovered the problem. Thank you.

ok the motor is running fine then or does it has a slight rough idle ?

can you tell me the last time the tune up has been done and the valves adjusted?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Perhaps a slight rough idle. Last tune up was 02/24/09. The air conditioning condenser was also replaced and they did an evacuate, recharge and refrigerant recovery. We always have all the scheduled tune ups.

ok this noise only happens when the a/c is used or all the time ?

what this a honda a/c or done at a out side shop with after market parts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The noise is only when the a/c is on. The work was done at an outside shop. The car got in a wreck in February and everything was supposed to be fixed perfectly. Thank you.

ok then i the best advice i can offer you today is to try and isolate the noise and it maybe a a/c clutch or the compressor is failing. and since this is causing the engine to strain its a very strong indication of a a/c failure. in the a/s compressor assy.

can you see if the a/c belt is tight and not loose ? that might lead to the load noise heard,if the belt is tight then you need to return the car back to the shop so they can correct the problem.

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .