John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

Where is the fuel pump reset switch on a 1995 Honda Accord

Customer Question

I am being told it is lokated in the trunk. Where in the trunk?
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello I can help you with this. Honda cars do not have a reset switch for the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there some sort of a re-set switch that has something to do with the fuel system in the trunk? Is there a re-set switch of any kind in the trunk?
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
No, there is no switch of any kind there.
Do you have a no start issue the you are trying to repair?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I had the paint redone and when I picked the car up from the body shop, it drove for about 5 miles and it died at a stop light. It satrted back up and went just a little further and started chugging and died. It has not strtted since. It turns over but does not start.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, there can be a few different causes. Either no spark due to a bad coil or ignition module or a main relay or fuel pump failure.
Have you checked for spark?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fuel pump is NOT getting any power. We have 12 volts coming into and out of the fuse block, but no power is getting to the fuel pump. We have tested the pump and it works when hooked directly to 12 volts. Could ther possible be some sort of an impact switch that is tripped thru the bumpers or something else associated with the electrical system that would cause this situation?
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, there is a main relay that fails very often. It actually switches the power to the fuel pump and the ecm.
When you switch on the key does the check engine light come on and then go out after 2-3 seconds?
Does the battery light work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the battery light comes on, but NO, the check engine light does not come on.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thats a problem. Check fuse numBer 2 in the fuse box under the dash. If its ok then the main relay is probably bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Looking back to yesterday, yes the check engine light did come on and go off. Yes fuse #2 is good. Where is the main relay?
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Its under the drivers side of the dash. see PHOTO 82
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your help; you have been very patient and I apprecaite your efforts !!!

If this suggestion does not work, I'll probably have it towed to a mechanic.

Thank You,

Larry Davies

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, its a super common failure so you should be in luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know how much it should cost to replace the main relay? Can I do it myself?
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Its about 65 dollars. yes, its only one bolt and a wire connector.
No problem to do it
John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess I pushed the wrong icon before I could leave you positive feed back. Please e-mail me again so I may do so.

Thanks,

Larry

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much have a good week