Andrew
Andrew, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Currently working for Acura at this time with previous work with volvo

2003 Honda: front passenger..I tried to roll it up..controls

Customer Question

My 2003 Honda Odyssey front passenger window made a loud pop when I tried to roll it up. Then it just slid down inside the door and is unresponsive to up or down controls. What do I need to repair?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 5 years ago.
IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH THE CABLE FOR THE WINDOW REGULATOR HAS SNAPPED. YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE THE REGUATOR REPLACED. IT IS VERY EASY AND CAN BE DONE BY YOU IF YOU HAVE THE TIME AND THE PATIENCE TO DO IT. YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE DOOR PANEL AND THEN THE PLASTIC LINER AND THEN THERE ARE 7 10MM BOLTS HOLDING THE REGULATOR ON AND 2 10MM BOLTS HOLDING THE WINDOW TO THE REGULATOR. LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF AND i WILL POST UP BETTER INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOU...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am going to try to do this myself. Detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. Should I be able to find these parts at my local part store or might I need to order them?
Expert:  Andrew replied 5 years ago.

HERE IS THE DOOR PANEL REMOVAL

Special Tools Required

• Trim pad remover, Snap-on A177A, or equivalent, commercially available.
    1. Remove the mirror mount cover, power mirror, manual mirror. Take care not to scratch the door panel.

1. Remove the inner handle (A). Take care not to scratch the door panel.

-1 Pry out the cap (B), and remove the screw.
      -2 Pull the inner handle forward and out half-way.
      -3 Disconnect the inner handle rod (C) and power door lock switch connector (D) (for some models).

1. Detach the clips and hooks (A), then remove the speaker grille (B). Remove the screws.

1. Remove the pull pocket panel (A). Take care not to scratch the door panel.

-2 Release the hook (C), and disconnect the power window switch connectors (D).

Driver's

1. Release the clips that hold the door panel (A) with a commercially available trim pad remover (B), then remove the door panel by pulling it upward. Disconnect the speaker connector (C).

For '02-04 models: If equipped with a seat heater, disconnect the seat heater switch subharness connector (D).

Remove the door panel with as little bending as possible to avoid creasing or breaking it.

2. Install the door panel in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

• Replace any damaged clips.

• Push the clips into place securely.

• Make sure the connectors are plugged in properly, and the inner handle rod is connected properly.

• For '03-04 models: Reset the power window control unit.

• Check the window and power door lock operations.

• For '02-04 models: If equipped with seat heaters, check for proper operation.

• HERE ARE THE WINDOW REGULATOR INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Remove these items:

1. Carefully raise the glass until you can see the bolts, then remove them. Carefully pull the glass out through the window slot. Take care not to drop the glass inside the door.

1. Disconnect and detach the connectors (A), and for '03-04 models driver's door, detach the connectors from the door harness bracket (B). Detach the harness clip (C) from the door. Remove the bolts (D) and loosen the bolts (E), then remove the regulator (F) through the hole in the door.

1. Apply multipurpose grease to all the sliding surfaces of the regulator (A) where shown.

2. Install the glass and regulator in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Can you post the images in a different format? I am not able to view them in full size.
    Expert:  Andrew replied 5 years ago.

HERE ARE THE REGULATOR PICS IN PNG. FORM

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Expert:  Andrew replied 5 years ago.

AND HERE ARE THE PANEL PICS....

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Andrew, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: Currently working for Acura at this time with previous work with volvo
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thanks SO much!
    Expert:  Andrew replied 5 years ago.
    no problem
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Andrew,
    The new regulator is installed and it's working like a charm! You saved us around 280.00 today, and for that I really appreciate it. I'll definitely recommend this site to my friends.
    -Ann D.
    Expert:  Andrew replied 5 years ago.
    glad to hear you got it working and glad I could help you out