lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training
6428861

1998 HONDA CIVIC: FUEL PUMP RELAY..REMOVE FUEL TANK TO REPLACE FUEL

Customer Question

1998 HONDA CIVIC WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY AND DO YOU HAVE TO REMOVE FUEL TANK TO REPLACE FUEL PUMP.......ANOTHER DAD
Category: Honda
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

I can help with that.

To remove the fuel pump you do not have to drop the tank. There is an access panel that is under the rear seat bottom cushion.

The fuel pump relay is behind the glove box against the outer part of the body.

here are a few pictures to help you visualize it better.

FUEL PUMP RELAY.

graphic

FUEL PUMP.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks Jeff
my kid went to the gas station and it would not start, we have a heavy duty mechanical shop and don't work on these ricers if there is anything else you think we should check with these symtoms please advise I will pay your bill.
Best regards XXXXX
Abbotsford BC
Canada
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Are you sure that they put regular gas and not deisel in the car?

I would check for spark as well. Thats more common than a fuel problem on those cars.

lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Jeff
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so jeff there is no spark any suggestions
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

There is a quick test we can do. Typically its either the ignitor or the coil that goes. Both are inside the distributor.

Do you have a 12 volt test light available ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes and we have a link plug in but it just reads err
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Ok here is what you need to do. Remove the distirbutor cap and rotor and the plastic cover thats behind that.

On the coil you will see 2 wires held in with screws. First check the Black/Yellow wire and make sure you have 12 volts on it. If you do turn the key off and unscrew that screw that holds the Blk/Yllw to the coil.

Next take the pointed end of the test light and stick it in the hole of the connector at the end of the black/yellow wire. Than take the screw you took out and start it back in the coil. Now take the aligator clip on the test light and hook it to that screw.

Now crank the engine. The test light should do one of 2 things. Either it will glow steady or it will flash.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no power to black yellow with key on ....next
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.
under the dash check fuse #9 labeled IGN COIL. its a 15 amp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fuse cover is missing would you happen to know from memory which one is # XXXXX? # XXXXX is blown is there any spares in there?
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

FUSE PANEL VIEWS CLICK HERE.

if there isnt any there they might be under the hood in that fuse box.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok changed #9 fuse got 12 volts at black yellow disconnected them put ground on screw and test light thru eye end of black yellow got nothing when cranking over
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Just disconnect the one black/yellow on the coil right? no other black/yellows or other wires.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes no other wire when key is on and wire is attached it has power now with the fuse changed
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Is the test light lit when the key is in the ON position and than it goes out when you crank it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes if you like you can call me collect at 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX and I will make sure you are paid on this site.
Norm
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

IOK lets try this. Just chec for voltage at the black yellow when you crank the engine. So take the ground clamp off the coil and put it to a good ground. The light should be on in run and it should also be on when the key is turned to start. If that light is going out than i think you have a bad ignition switch. That black/yellow should never lose power (12volts) in the on and start positions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
steady power when cranking and with ignition on
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Ok than from the looks of it we have a ground problem. Like i said in the previouse posts that test light trick should either flash the light or keep it on steady.

The next step is this. Remove all the wires going to the ignition control module. There will be 4 of them.

With the key in the ON position you should have power at teh black/yellow and the white/blue or blue depending on what model distributor you have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeff
Hope your still around, we tested the black/yellow and it had power but the blue one does not.
Norm
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Ok blue wire. That means you have the Hitachi distributor in that car.

Is the yellow/black wire screwed back onto the coil?

If its not re attach it and than check for 12 volts at the blue wire.

lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it is a tec distributor but the wire is all blue, we just rechecked the under hood fuses and found the 15 amp icm was blown we changed it put it back together and the car fired up. The other problem is this engine has been swaped out and there are several harness conectors unplugged and several new wires run.

thanks for your help
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

oh ok kool

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ill book mark you youl probably hear from us again, the day that turkey buys a new car will be a great one.

cheers Norm
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.
lol ok sounds good.