HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA
8532170

The temperature gauge seems to stay too low. Thermostat

Customer Question

The temperature gauge seems to stay too low. Thermostat?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Honda?
-What model is your Honda?
-How many miles are on your Honda?
-What type of engine is in your Honda?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1995 Honda Civic LX
124000 miles
Haven't tried anything yet. Looking for possible common problems on Internet.
Don't know the engine, but it is a 5-speed transmission. I can go down & get engine if more than 1 available in 1995.

if the gauge is reading low it is either one of two things; the thermostat is faulty or the temperature sender for the gauge is defective.

Run the engine until warm, the radiator hoses should be about the same temperature. if one of the hoses is considerably less or even cold then suspect the thermostat. If they fell the same then I would suspect the temperature sender unit

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Something else might help, the gas gauge is broken & it is right next to the temperature gauge. I can do without the gas gauge, but not the temperature gauge. Does this make it more likely it is the sender? Thanks

no not really. they work independently form each other. Unless there was a problem with the circuit board for the gauges, but it would affect more than just these two gauges.

I would check the hoses to see if one is colder than the other.

Does the gauge ever move at all or does it stay on full cold?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The gauge does move, but it stays on cold much too long. I live in the mountains & the first 20 minutes of the drive is downhill. Today the gauge stayed on cold for almost all of that time. There was some minor flutcuation, but almost not noticable. When leaving work & driving in the city, the gauge seems to work fine.
ok i would suspect the thermostat, unless the car is very low on coolant.
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience: OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll check the coolant right away & see about the thermostat. Thanks
let me know if you need any other assistance.