HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA
8532170

I have a 2005 honda element. It runs rough when you start it

I have a 2005 honda element. It runs rough when you start it and will stall at end of street and at stop lights. NO codes have come up . plugs are fine.. injectors, throttle body cleaned..fuel pressure ok . seems to be a common problem with 04-05's.
Category: Honda
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome to justanswer.com,

When it stalls what are the lights on the dash doing at the time?

Does it happen when the car is warm?

How many miles on the Element?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it happens when it is a cold start. it gets better after driving for 15 minutes.. 140000 miles. some of the lights on the dashbord are on not sure which ones. The car was reading -40 degrees all the time so my mechanic changed the temp and fan switch now reads 205 once its warm but still stalls

the temp guage in the dash has no relation to the engine temp which is controlled by a separate sensor in the engine compartment. The fuel pressure may be ok but you will need to have the injectors checked to see if maybe one or more may be leaking over night causing a load up of fuel overnight.

When you replaced the plugs did you use NGK original equipment plugs?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes we used NGK iridium plugs. injectors are not leaking (just called the shop) my mechanic said the idle does not increase under load. when the put the AC   nothing changes. when you come out of park and put in gear it just dies. then you have to hold the gas pedal to the floor until it starts
you will need to check the IAC valve and see if it is working. Sounds like it with the symptoms you are describing. You wont always get a engine code either. The idle should change with the a/c on. That's a sign that the valve is not doing its job.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just called my shop. they were thinking that might be the issue but were not certain. they want to know if the IAC is a seperate component or if its part of the throttle body. How the part comes and location would be helpful. Will accept your answer upon your next reply.   thanks for your hard work

Ed in New Hampshire
Yes the IAC is a separate component. You have to remove the throttle body in order to replace it. Once the throttle body is removed, turn it over and the Iac valve will be held on with three machine screws. Change it out and reinstall the throttle body.
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience: OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA