lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training

1994 HONDA ACCORD LX: FUSES..A/C CLUTCH WILL NOT ENGAGE..COMPRESSOR

IN A 1994 HONDA ACCORD LX THE COMPRSSOR WILL NOT COME ON, RELAY GOOD, FUSES ARE GOOD, CHARGE IS GOOD, A/C CLUTCH WILL NOT ENGAGE, WHY WILL THE COMPRESSOR NOT COME ON?
Category: Honda
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Hi. few questions.

This is a 4cylinder accord?

when you turn the a/c on do you notice if the radiator fans come on or are they staying off?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES IT S A 4 CYL
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.
What about the radiator fans. Do they come on when you turn the a/c on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO THE FANS DONT RUN
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Ok well when the a/c is turned on the fnas should run unless there is something wrong with the A/C panel or the pressure switch.

Which relay or where is the relay you checked and how did you check it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A/C DOES NOT HAVE A PRESSURE SWITCH ON IT , WE DON'T SEEM TO BE GETTING A GROUND FROM THE ECM TO TURN THE FANS ON. CHECKED THE CONDENSOR FAN RELAY AND PUT IN A NEW ONE, IS LOCATED BY CONDENSOR FAN.
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

All a/c systems have a pressure switch. Its actually on top of the reciever/dryer on that car. Thats the cylindrical aluminum thing just under the battery tray.

The ground comes through the a/c switch on the dash. than goes through the thermostat in the evaporator housing and through the pressure switch. If either of these 3 things are bad they wont tell the PCM to turn the a/c on and the PCM wont turn the clutch or fans on.

The first thing i would do is unplug the pressure switch. It has 2 wires a blue/red and a blue/yellow. Turn the car on. turn the a/c on and check for ground at the blue/yellow.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
FANS ARE WORKING, TOOK A PAPER CLIP AND JUMPED THE PRESSURE SWITCH, CLUTCH WILL NOT ENGAGE
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

You might have 2 problems now. First is either the system is under charged and thats why the fans never came on Or 2 the pressure switch is bad.

As for the clutch you are going to have to see if your getting power on the red wire coming out of the clutch relay on the drivers side attached to the fan shroud. If you do than your going to have to trace it down to the compressor. Alot of times the wires break where they go from teh fan to the compressor. Usually due to the engine torquing and the constant stress of that wire. If you have power on the wire thats on the compressor itself than i would say you have a bad compressor as well or a faulty clutch/coil.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CHARGED SYSTEM TO CORECT AMOUNT BUT HAVE NO POWER TO A/C CLUTCH HOT WIRED CLUTCH IT CAME ON BUT ALMOST CHOKED ENGINE COMPLETELY
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Ok so check the red coming out of that relay and see if there is power. The fact that you jumped the compressor tells me that your not getting power form the relay. Either thet relay is bad. the wiring to it or the wire is broke from the relay to the compressor.

If the engine almost choked that sounds like its over charged. How are you checking the system?

Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.

Just a little help here. The a/c relay has 4 wires. A black/yellow a white a red and a red/blue.

With the switch jumped with a paper clip you should have ground at the red/blue and power at the other 3 wires. (with the relay plugged in. )

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CHECKED SYSTEM WITH RECOVERY SYSTEM RECOVERED 19 OZ RECHARGED TO CORECT AMOUNT NO POWER ON RED WIRE OUT OF RELAY AND THANKS FOR ANSWERS
Expert:  lorunner replied 5 years ago.
Ok so if you have power on the other 2 and ground on the red/blue than you have a bad relay as well.
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training