John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.

I have a 2004 Honda Accord and the AC fan is not working.

I have a 2004 Honda Accord and the AC fan is not working. A repair shop said the fan and compressor is working fine the issue is the ground which is fed by the control panel. They said the part is $2200 from the dealer without a markup/labor. Could the problem be something else?

Hi, I can help you with this. Its it the blower fan inside the car that is not working?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Its rare to have a failure of the control panel . There is a part called a blower transistor that we see failures on failrly often. Its a much less expensive repair, 150 dollars or so.

Of course they should have also checked the fuse too which I assume they did.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe they checked the fuses. Although after reading some articles on the net, there is supposedly a fuse under the dash too? Not sure if they new to check that.

As for the blower transistor, that sounds like a great lead. Thanks!!

You're welcome. The transistor is very common

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

John G,

I can't thank you enough. Your advise was spot on. I paid $130 for the replacement and inpressed the mechanic with having the diagnosis before he started.

The first shop was going to charge me $1200 for the wrong part....not to mention labor, then they would have found it was the wrong part and charged me for the right part replacement, I estimate you saved me close to $2000.

I am beyond pleased with your advise.

All the best,

Karen Richey