thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

timing 1993 honda accord automatic-timing mark (white line)

Customer Question

timing 1993 honda accord automatic-timing mark (white line) lines up when cold -warm up till fan comes on (closed loop) jump 2 pole conector (blue) behind kick panel and timing will only adjust to approxametly retarded 10 degrees-i have tried new distributor/new temp sensor/different computor / computor # XXXXX as per dealer-idle speed is 700 engine vacumn 19.5 cam timing is on spec idle is slight rough
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 7 years ago.

Hello. The ignition timing on a 90-93 Accord is supposed to be set via the red mark. Click here! for the instructions. If the timing will not set accurately, you may have to check the valve timing at the timing belt. Click here! to see these instructions.

I think this will take care of you, but if not, let me know. I will be glad to follow up. I will be online for about 15 more minutes and be back on Monday. I don't want to leave you hanging.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
distributor max advance -still retarded aprox 10 degrees for red line camtiming is on spec (i am 50 years automotive 25 mech 25 parts still work on many cars ) a mechanic friend sugests elongating slot on distributor

I wouldn't recommend that as there has to be something wrong with the car to prevent the timing from being correct. Is the distributor aftermarket, or Honda brand?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
cam timing was checked using (by my book) red as tdc i will dbl check- dist is honda # XXXXX checked by dealer will redo cam timing thank you
Sounds good. Yes, if red was used as tdc for cam timing, I would say that is the problem. Let me know what you find, I will be back online Monday morning. Have a great weekend.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
belt had been replaced bt prior owner it was off reset to specs as per instruction / runs great--to many years using white on timing mark again thank you

That's great! I'm glad you got it taken care of. I know how aggravating that can be. Thank you for your accept. If I can ever be of service to you again, please let me know.