MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

While driving my 93 Honda Accord just shuts off, I pull over

Customer Question

While driving my 93 Honda Accord just shuts off, I pull over & 90% of the time it starts right up, the other 10% of the time I have to wait about 30 minutes before it starts up.
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago.
Hello welcome to the site.
does the car loose the lights on the dash or the lights come on after it stalls ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The lights stay on after it stalls, it does not happen in cold temps, only when it is hot & humid out. I pull over, turn it off, turn it back on and generally starts right back up. A couple of times it jolts while it's shutting off, but not always

ok you have a 99.99% of this been a faulty main furl relay a very common problem with the hondas.
when the temps increase the circuit board will flex and break the already bad solder joint and not make contact until the car cools and the board returns to the sweet spot.
here is a picture and location of the main fuel relay.
also a test for the relay if its in a failed state. but i would install a new relay and continue to drive the car like normal.

please keep in mind the relay test will show good if you test it after it sit's. but you can easly take it apart and you will see the burnt solder join. most people resolder it but a new one is around 55-60 dollars and cheaper then a tow truck. hope this help you out today.

Dino

graphicgraphic

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If purchasing this part, should I get the PGM-FI Main Relay from a Honda dealer? I have been told that this particular year of Hondas do not like after market parts. Is this something that you think I, being a woman can change myself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes buy oe only.
The relay is not hard to change but I would have the new one in hand so you can reference the relay ok it's location
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank-you so much & I will let you know how this works out! Where do you leave Feedback?
After you accept it will have a option or ok the top of the page. Even after the accept you can still access this post and I will respond back to this post if you have more questions