MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .

Can you give me a diagram of the timing marks for a 98 accord 2.

Customer Question

can you give me a diagram of the timing marks for a 98 accord 2.3
i was changing the belt and the cam turned now it won't run smooth or stay running
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago.

hello welcome to the site

i will be happy to assist you tonight.

please stand by i will get you the information you requested .

Dino

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what more info do u need

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
reply to what

i have the timing marks for you .

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have already tried it like this and still nothing the car ran fine before i took the belt off do ihave to have both belts on before starting ? is there another timing mark for the oil pump causing it to run ruff. the crank has to b on up stroke rite ? hmmmmmmm i don't know what happened

the mark on the oil pump will cause a vibration like a engine miss very noticeable.

thats probably what happened here. if the timing belt is dead on the balancer shaft belt is off.

does this sounds about right on whats going on ?

Dino

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i guess it could b does it have a mark to line up with. i should have marked them all w/ white out i would have been done by now

when i do a timing belt i set it on tdc and know where my marks are ,the balance shaft belt pulleys do move very easy. if you see the image of the front balance shaft mark thats what i reference to all the time.

the rear balance shaft housing will have a dimple in the pulley and a pointer for reference only since the mark can change and the recommended method is the bolt that is used in the rear balance shaft.

if you set it up on tdc and just remove the balance shaft belt only set the front pulley on the mark shown in the picture and the rear pulley remove the 12mm bolt front the back of the block and insert the bolt in and rotate the pulley until it drops into the alignment hole and then install the belt and you should be golden.

MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you lost me. i set the cam as shown in diag. crank as diag. and the balance shaft tdc.? is the number one piston closes to the pulley's
no the marks in the picture are all you need this is independent of the timing belt.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is number 1 closes to pulley's

i still think its timing more than balance ?

it won't stay running

thanks for your help and pics

yes # XXXXX cylinder is closest to the front of the motor.

well do you have any check engine light on ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

what is the code ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure i will try again tomm thanks 4 ur help

ok i hope i was able to asist you tonight

please remember to leave me feed back

Dino

please let me know what you find ok

Dino

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have the car back together and running good except under load there is a bad vibration could i have the balance shaft out of wak

i put cam tdc crank tdc oil pump tdc and balance shaft tdc i think the balance shaft should b n a different location please help

yes that is the problem you need to set the marks as stated in the images i gave you .

you dont have to pull the timing belt off ok just the balance shaft belt.

but remeber to have the motor on top dead center ok .the whole problem here is the rear balancer shaft is not timed .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can u tell me step by step what to do to fix this nightmare

well this is pretty simple from this point .

set the engine to top dead center make sure the mark on the pulley and cover are aligned .

remove the timing cover

loosen the adjuster nut and ONLY move the small belt puller up so their is slack.

you will see the notch in the front pulley shaft and a mark on the engine case align those up mark it with white out if you want.

the rear use a bolt like the one that is told to use to align the rear shaft up. you have to remove the bolt so you can insert the bolt and rotate the rear puller until the bolt drops in.

then install the balancer belt.

then REMOVE THE BOLT IN THE REAR OF THE BLOCK and put the bolt back and tighten then set your tension on the balancer belt and rotated the engine 3 times and recheck your marks.

Dino

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok i try thanx alot let you no the outcome

ok i will be leaving for the day in 1 hour and wont be back until tonight
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i put the cam tdc the crank tdc the front pulley to the marks and took the bolt out of the rear and turned the pully until the smaller bolt went in and put it all back together.

now the only thing i have is a little vibration when coming to a stop and driving in reverse. if the rear pulley is off one notch can it cause something like this or is it a little more forgiving. when i had the long bolt in i marked the pulley i guess it could be off one tooth?

If you line it all up it should have been ok. But yes 1 tooth will effect cause a vibration. Is their any chech engine lights on or just a vibration ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no chek engine just vibration

Ok I would have to say your off 1 tooth did you double check the marks ?
As long as the front marks line up and the timing belt is ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok the cam crank and front pulley are all aligned. the rear however has three different spots that the long bolt will go in. how do i determine which one is the correct position. do i need to put the mark on the pulley in a certain position?
The rear pulley rotate it until the dimple is at the 4 oclock position and and you will see a casting line line then up if you can