MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

2005 Honda: the VSA indicator..check engine..accelerating..sputter

I have a 2005 Honda CRV. Yesterday, the VSA indicator and the triangle with exclamation point lit up along with the check engine indicator. Shortly after (within 1 to 2 seconds), while accelerating, the engine seemed to sputter until I let up off the gas. Pushing the VSA Off button on the dash did nothing. I stopped the car, turned off the engine, and restarted the car. The engine light stayed lit and the VSA and triangle went out for a few seconds and lit up again. Any ideas what is going on?
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

how many miles on the car.
what has been done recenlty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are 65000 miles. The last service was in January/February 2009 for brakes.

ok the vsa and check engine light cam on because their is a fault in the system that needs to be looked at.To be on the safe side i would check the oil and transmission fluid .

you can have the codes read for free at your local parts store like auto zone.

have them scan it and let me know what the codes are.

Dino

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The monitor showed 2 codes, both the same. P2647 and something about rocker arm actuator.
Ok please check the oil level very common problem with the k series motor. The code will set when the it sees a loss of oil pressure from the vtec switch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just checked it - hot, of course since I just came back from the parts store. It is very close to the upper mark of the two on the dipstick. I'd even go as far to say that it is at the upper mark.
ok their is a current service new's talking about the vtec pressure switch been faulty on some 03-05 crv's. here is word for word on the subject.

Replace VTEC Oil Pressure
Switch for DTC P2646, P2647
NOTE: This article applies to ’03–05 Accord L4s,
’03–05 Elements, and ’02–05 CR-Vs.
Got a vehicle in your shop with either of these
DTCs?
• DTC P2646 (VTEC oil pressure switch circuit
low voltage)
• DTC P2647 (VTEC oil pressure switch circuit
high voltage)
Replacing the VTEC oil pressure switch (P/N
37250-PNE-G01, H/C(NNN) NNN-NNNN usually fixes the
problem. If it doesn’t, then press on with normal
troubleshooting.

hope this sheds some light on the issue.
Dino
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this a part that I can replace myself? In other words, is it easily accessible under the hood and doesn't require any special tools? I have a little experience in auto repair (water pumps, fuel pumps, radiator replacements, hoses, belts... simple stuff). I am by no means "expert".
yes the switch is very easy to change it is located on near the oil filter on the back of the block and the switch is next to the oil pressure switch. the switch is going to be green in color. you will see the adaptor block .
you can access it from under the car like doing a oil change.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I can see the oil filter, no problem. The only thing I see near the oil filter is some wiring that ends with a blue boot covering the connection. This connection appears to be directly in the block. You wouldn't by chance have a picture? I did not see anything in the area that was green and the engine is still pretty clean.
yes the connector is blue .
i will try to post the pic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since I won't be able to get parts today, is there any problem running the car for a day?
no since the oil level is ok and it is most likely the sensor that is bad you should be fine. did they reset the pcm ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He said he did but the indicators are all still lit.
hmm if he reset the pcm it should have been off unless the sensor is stuck open. but you can try and reset the pcm your self. try removing the # XXXXX fuse from the under hood fuse box. make sure the key is off if that does not reset the light disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and then reinstall the cable and recheck. NOTE make sure you have your radio code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried pulling the fuse. The indicators came on. I tried disconnecting the battery cable for 30 seconds. The indicators came on. I guess from your comment above, the sensor is stuck open. This being the case, is it still okay to drive for a day?
Yes but be limited until it's corrected
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .