Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech

I have recently bought a 2002 Acura MDX it only has 103,488

I have recently bought a 2002 Acura MDX it only has 103,488 miles on it. the transmission started jumping when it would shift gears. it got to where it would jump harder and harder everytime. eventually it wouldn't go in to but 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. now it is not shifting out of first and reverse rarely works. i had a our family mechanic put a scanner to it and the codes that read were P0730, P0780, and P1739 and it also said incorrect gear ratio. can you please tell me what this means??
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

If you have the incorrect gear ratio code that means the countershaft and mainshaft are spinning at speeds that are different than the should be which means basically that the transmission is beginning to slip internally. To fix that you are going to have to replace the transmission. There is no way around this once you get that code. Acura was helping customers with transmission repairs so you may want to call their customer service line, 1-800-999-1009 and see if they can help you out. They'll most likely want it taken to an Acura dealer for diagnosis but they may be able to help you with that repair. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there any way you can tell me what the three codes mean?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

Sure but I want you to know replacing solenoids or pressure sensors won't fix your problem.

DTC P0730: Problem in Shift Control System

DTC P0780: Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of Shift Solenoid Valve A and A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valves A and B, or Problem in Hydraulic Control System

DTC P1739: Problem in 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit