heritage36
heritage36, Honda Technician
Experience:  Certified Honda technician of 5 years. Skilled in all areas of Honda/Acura repair and maintenance.
17465140

1990 honda civic: runs, and then just dies

1990 honda civic starts, runs, and then just dies. Sometimes within minutes, other times after reach temp.
Category: Honda
Expert:  heritage36 replied 7 years ago.

Possible causes for this would be a problem with the ignition switch, the alternator or the main fuel relay. Have you looked into any of those yet or do you know if any have been previously replaced? Let me know and I will help you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't get the alternator or ignition switch. I replaced the main fuel relay with a used one. anyother ideas.

What do you mean you do not get the alternator or ignition switch? Those and the main fuel relay are the usual causes for something like this. Have you tested those? Let me know. thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I guess the alternator is the one I don't get. What about the ignition coil? The car will start, run for abit, then act as thou it is out of gas. Will start again, after a rest period.

It would be worth looking into if the spark looks sluggish that is sometimes an indicator of a bad coil. how many miles are on it? The alternator is a very common cause of it, but from how you describe how it runs then dies it may be more spark/fuel related. Does it smell like its dumping a lot of fuel in? Plugs look fouled at all? LEt me know and I will help you further. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Car has about 170k on it. The Alternator is pretty new. It won't turn over now, acts like it is out of fuel. I am leaning toward the main relay
generally the main relay does not cause a car to just not start at all, but its worth a check at that mileage. I would definitely check the plugs and see how the spark seems too. let me know what you find, thanks