John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

The engine it makes a noise sounds like a release air pressure

after turning off the engine it makes a noise sounds like a release air pressure
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I can help you with this. What is the year and model of the Honda and does it have a 6 cylinder engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
08 honda accord v6
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, if the noise is from under the hood I know it well. The intake manifold on the Honda 6 cylinder engine has a large internal volume. When the engine is idling the vacuum inside it is very strong because the throttle is closed. When you shut the engine off the vacuum bleeds off and make a very noticable sound.

Does this sound like the noise? Is this something new or has the car always done it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this normal? or probably i just noticed it recently
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is normal. If the engine air filter has been changed recently, make sure that the lid is tight and that the hose is connected properly. If there is a problem with the air cleaner the sound will be louder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i havent change the air filter my honda has 18,571 milies to it can you repeat again where is the noise coming from? thank you

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Its just engine vacuum bleeding off from the intake manifold. That is the top of the engine, more specifically near the large black rubber tube running from the air filter box to the throttle body
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks john so do i need to check the where the air filter is make sure that is tight! one more question sometimes in the morning where i just started the car its hesitating to run especially when i go uphill its like sluggish but when the engine warm up its ok
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

If you have an automatic transmission its normal for it to shift differently when cold. There are a number of reasons , for emissions purposes why the car runs and shift differently . Most of it has to do with warming the catalytic convertors quickly......

If no one has done anything under the hood the filter is probably fine. Your next oil change, have a dealer check it and verify the cause of the noise also

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok i guess thats answer my questions do i still need to bring it to the dealer about the noise since youve mention its normal?

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

No, you don't. I would not make a special trip but if you go to the dealer for an oil change it cant hurt to ask about it , they should confirm what I have told you....

Have a good weekend.

John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.