Tech413
Tech413, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years auto, 19 years at the same Honda dealer. Ca Smog since 1986. Honda Gold Level, ASE master
13123924

How much should a valve adjustment cost for a 2003 CRV?

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Tech413 replied 5 years ago.
How many miles do you have? Are you looking for what the dealer would charge or an independent?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
close to 70,000 miles. Does independent generally reilable on this kind of repair?
Expert:  Tech413 replied 5 years ago.

If the independent is familiar with Honda then yes. If this is a chain store like a Purrfect Auto or Econo-Lube then no. Why do you think you need the valves adjusted?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got the engine light on and has been diagnosed as a misfire in one cylinder.
Expert:  Tech413 replied 5 years ago.

Did they tell you what the codes is? Is the vehicle at the dealer or an independant? Does the engine run rough when hot or cold?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I don't have the code off hand. It's rough only when its cold. But I am sure the description of that code is misfire in one cylinder. I did get another code for failure of the oxygen sensor, and I was told these two issues are islolated. But I wonder could oxygen sensor leads to the misfire? If that's the case, hopefully replacing the oxygen sensor could be fix all the problems. I really don't know. The dignose was at the dealership.
Expert:  Tech413 replied 5 years ago.

The information you gave me has helped a great deal. Believe it or not. The fact that the vehicle runs poorly when cold leads me to believe that there is a problem with valve clearance. At this point I would ignore the O2 sensor code and have the valves adjusted to start with. Albeit it is very unusual for the valve clearance to be out of specs at this mileage, it is not unheard of especially if you have had some engine work performed.

To answer your original question. A valve adjustment on this vehicle at the dealer should cost $215.00 parts and labor(At the most).

If you were to take it to an independent shop, you would expect to spend about $100.00 less. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for.