Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

My 2000 Honda Accord v6 stalls out after starting when I start

My 2000 Honda Accord v6 stalls out after starting when I start it more than twice/thrice in an hour. I can get it to keep running if I can start driving immediately and keep it revd up. The problem occurs more often after running the a/c. My husband recently changed spark plugs, but not sure what else to try.   It isnt generating error codes. It starts and run perfectly after sitting for a long period (I live in Florida).
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.

Do you know what the actual error codes are?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No. When I took it to Advance Auto for reading, they didnt see any errors.

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.
Okay when it dies does the dash electrical go away too or is it more of an engine dying thing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
More of an engine dying (the only power loss is to the odometer sometimes but not sure that is related). Have to try to keep restarting it.....which is does fine.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.
Okay the reason I ask is because they had a recall on the ignition switch on your model Honda and it could be that. If so it's probably still covered. The symptoms are usually dying while driving like someone turned the key to the off position and then it will restart fine, or dying when you let go of the key. Try starting it and release the key slightly just so the starter doesn't grind and then after a few seconds let go and see if it dies.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seldom dies while driving, unless after driving a long time and idling really low like in a traffic jam. It is generally only a problem after driving a while, turning the car off, and then trying to restart it after 10-15 minutes. Other than ignition switch (which I think the Honda dealer I used to go to regularily would have told me about recall) what else can we check? IAC? is there a fuel pressure check? or could it be an emissions issue? It sputters and stalls, so it doesnt seem like an ignition switch problem, more like fuel line issue or carb flooding.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

After reading your replies again I'd check the IAC valve first. Sometimes carbon clogs the passage inside and you have problems with idle. It almost sounds like that's the problem especially if it happens when the A/C is on or in long traffic jams. You can take it off the intake manifold and clean it out real good with throttle body cleaner and then reinstall it and the problem should go away.

Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience: Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech