thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience

92 Accord: Honda..runs hot..hoses, thermostat and new radiator

Customer Question

I have a Honda 92 Accord that occasionally runs hot. When doing so it shuts down. I have changed hoses, thermostat and new radiator. The Engine runs good and the battery weak. What else would make it run hot?
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 5 years ago.

The cooling fans are supposed to turn on and off with engine temperature. Let your vehicle idle and the temperature gauge rise to around 1/2 way. The passenger side fan should turn on. Check to be sure it does, and let me know.

Did you use a Honda brand thermostat? If not, this could also be a problem. I have had bad success with non Honda parts. They are not built with the quality as the Honda brand.

Let me know what you find and we will take it from there.

I will be online off and on all day today until 5 eastern if you need me. I will be back in touch in touch asap.

Chuck

thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 26 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Passenger side fan engaged at 1/2 temp. Why does the engine surge in idle when cold?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I accepted too soon. I wasn't finished with my answer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello. I'm back, we can still communicate on this post. No problem.

Does the engine run hot while driving, or sitting still?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I did use the Honda thermostat. I've learned to use only Honda parts    The battery is not so good so right now I'm off to buy a new one. Be back shortly. The engine gets hot when driving.

Ok, thanks! Did you bleed the system when you filled it with coolant? If not, it may have an air pocket in it. I'll be online off and on until 5 eastern and be back tomorrow to continue working with you.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did bleed the system.   I don't understand why engine surges when cold. Unrelated???

Maybe. I'm more concerned with the overheating problem. Troubleshooting the idle surge is easy, most likely a thermal valve or idle air control valve, but that's no big deal. improper coolant flow can cause irregular idle also. So I want to concentrate on the overheating issue....might solve both problems at the same time.

Ok, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with a new Honda thermostat, fans operating correctly, new radiator, and the system bled correctly, that only leaves something internal such as a leaking head gasket or cracked head which would take a compression/leakdown test to determine.

Let's be certain the system doesn't have air in it. Turn the heater all the way to hot, open the bleeder screw and fill the radiator until pure fluid comes out the bleeder. I just want to be certain.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I detected some bubbles on the dip stick so I share your fear that it's a head gasket or head problem. It still runs great, what's the harm of driving it and makimg sure the water level is always full?
I think you may be right. If it gets water in the oil it will not lube the engine properly and cause the bearing/rings to wear out pretty quick. How many miles are on your engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
207659 miles

Ok, thank you. Let me make a suggestion. And I would make this suggestion even if you were in my shop. Instead of replacing the head gasket or head on this engine, I would suggest getting a lower mileage used engine. It's just more cost effective. The reason I say this is because if you spend the amount of money it's going to take to repair the head/head gasket....you still have an engine block with over 200k.....and it's hard to say when it will tear up. I just like my customers to get the most for their money.

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. It's pretty much what I was thinking. This auto is my daugher's and we may just look for another Honda for her.
Thanks again.

No further correspondence is necessary

You're welcome. Have a great day and thank you for the accept.

Chuck