AutoTech08
AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.
12605055

The battery in my Honda CR-V dies if I dont drive it each

Customer Question

The battery in my Honda CR-V dies if I don't drive it each day. There are no lights on, radio turned off, etc, What could be the problem?
Category: Honda
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Either there is a parasitic power drain or the battery is failing. Get the battery tested. Most parts stores provide this service for a nominal fee or free of charge.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The battey has been checked and replaced and still the problem persists.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I took the car to the Honda dealership and they first replaced the battery.

It too had the trouble and the ran a check. The current draw was about 20 ma which is not high. Could something else kick in at a later time such as security or something that would draw more current?

Is there a way to disable the security so I could test this hypothesis?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Here are the details.

1) I tookthe CRV to the Honda dealer complaining about the battery dieing so rapidly. They told me they replaced the battery at no charge - yeah!

2) The problem persisted. Took the CRV back to the dealer who did a parisitic draw check and found the draw was 171 mA - bad. They tracked it down to an after market towing accessory (a Roadmaster Even Brake - which is a brake controlling system used when towing the CRV) which draws approximately 120 mA with the vehicle off. Also the found that the Progressive Insurance Road Trip data collector that plugs into the OBD port draws approximately 25 mA with the vehicle off. With the Even Brake disconnected and the data collecter removed the draw was approx 20 - 25 mA which they say is within spec. So I had a switch installed to disconnect the Even Brake when not in use and removed the data collecter. Still the battery would drain in 2 - 3 days of non-use. So I put the data collector back in so as not too loose my insurance discount. This would bring the draw back up to 50 - 55 mA.

3) I took the CRV back to the shop and they did another draw test and blamed excissive draw on the data collecter again saying it was above spec with the device plugged in. With the device removed they say the draw is within spec. Note the Even Brake is now out of the loop! I have removed the device (and since have lost my insurance discount) and the battery still drains in a day - yet the draw is suppose to be in spec.

So what gives - if everything is in spec, why is the battery draining so fast? I have taken the CRV to other auto shops to have the battery tested and everything checks out fine.

I have read on the internet that it is reported the the glove box light does not always go off or it may be a stuck relay. Do you know anything or heard about these rumors?

Thanks - now you have the scoop.

What is the year model?

Seems the draining is rather consistent and if it is a relay, it usually would not be that consistent as relays are usually used for high current transfers which would drain the battery flat overnight.

A glove compartment, trunk or any other interior illuminating light would be more likely.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The CRV is a 2007
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IIt just seems weird that even with the CRV in "spec" the battery dies so quickly, There must be a reason.

I could not find any TSB regarding battery or any other parasitic draining faults. Batteries should not drain out after 2 or 3 days if everythihg is in order. TO test if it is the battery that is at fault, disconnect battery when parked over extended periods and if battery fails to work, it should be the cause.

A drain of 50 mA should not be a problem as sitting for 60 hours would only deprive a fully charged battery of 3 amperes leaving sufficient power to start the vehicle.

I guess the best option is to perform a parasitic test over extended periods, leaving the testing equipment hooked on and checking periodically to see if there are any abnormal drains.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I could buy a clmap on amp meter, but I don't want to spend a lot of money for it. Do you have a preference on a clamp on meter under $100.00?
Sorry I am unable to advise on any ammeters as I am not familair with the brands and makes on offer. I use Wurth brand.